Chapter Thirty-Nine

Ben drove me back to his auntie and uncle's house and told me people have already started arriving. They were having a pre-Christmas party for close friends and family.

'Is my mum there yet?' I asked him.

'She was just getting there when I set off to pick you up,' he said.

I was really looking forward to seeing my mum again.

'You sure your dad didn't mind you using his car to pick me up?'

'No, not at all,' he said.

'Well I appreciate it.'

A song he loved came on the radio, so he turned it up.

'So how's London been on your own this last week?' he asked.

'I've not been on my own,' I said. 'I've been at work a lot, so spent a lot of time with Jade and Gladys. Michael's been round a lot too.'

'I'm glad,' he said, 'I don't want you feeling lonely.'

'I would've preferred to get the train back with you last week,' I said, 'but I couldn't leave Gladys in the lurch.'

'I get that,' he said as he pulled up on to his auntie's road.

'Thanks,' I said as we pulled up outside.

'No problem,' he said. 'I'm glad you're home.'

'Me too,' I said.

'But there's someone inside who'll be even happier to see you.'

The front room was full as I walked in. I scanned the faces and saw Mum first. She stood up and walked over to me. 'Welcome home baby,' she said as she wrapped her arms around me.

'Hey Mum,' I said, 'it's good to see you.'

She released me from her hug and put her hands on my face. I looked at her for a second before noticing someone I was even more desperate to see.

'James,' I said.

'Hey babe.' I walked over to him and gave him the most passionate kiss I could in front of both our families.

'I've missed you,' he said.

'I've missed you too.' I kissed him again.

'I've been getting so giddy since you text me from the train.'

'Me too. All I could think about when I sent you that message was getting home to you.'

'Thanks for picking up my boy,' he shouted across the room.

'No problem,' said Ben.

It had only been a week since I'd last seen him, but even that had been too long.

So here's the thing with me and James. There were a number of things that happened early on that made it clear to us both we were meant to be together. It started with that first kiss in my room, when he first told me he liked me. I was worried that we were too close as friends to everve more. After that kiss, I knew that wasn't the case.

The next thing was our first date, which we went on the following night. Everything just felt right. We'd spent so much time together over the years as friends, but somehow it was different. Now that we knew we wanted more, there was this new kind of connection between us that wasn't there before.

Then there was the first time that we slept together, which was the same night as our first date. The whole time we were out together it was building up. So when we got to my front gate and he kissed me goodnight, we both knew he was coming in. He stayed over all the time, so Mum wouldn't find it unusual.

It was different with him than it had ever been with other guys. I actually cared for him, which just made everything more intense. When it was over, I lay on top of him, our hot, sweaty bodies pressed together and he held me tight.

'Wow!' I said.

'You took the words right out of my mouth,' he said.

'I've got a feeling we're going to be doing that a lot more.'

'Oh yes.'

And we did. Another couple of times that night and again in the morning. Then again every night that followed.

We moved into sixth form together and we'd walk around school holding hands and kissing by the school gates. Everyone knew we were together and were really cool about it. They were used to seeing us together all the time anyway, so it wasn't a giant leap.

When it came to choosing a university, we both knew we wanted to go to the same place. I had my heart set on London, so I took him there for a long weekend. He loved it just as much as I did. When we both got accepted, we were so happy. We decided to get a place together. It would save money in such an expensive city, and he knew we wanted to be together all the time anyway. So last term we went to London and moved in together.

Ben had finished university by then, but stayed in London as he was offered a job. We continued to be friends and got closer and closer. James and Ben had never really spent much time together, despite being family, but they have since formed a close friendship with each other too.

'You staying here tonight?' James asked me.

'I don't want to leave Mum on her own,' I said.

'It's okay,' Mum said, overhearing our conversation, 'Paul's stopping over tonight anyway.'

Paul was a guy who lived on the end of our street. She had known him for years and he'd been a good friend of Dad's. He and his wife got divorced a couple of years ago. Mum and Paul had bumped into each other on a singles night they had both been dragged along to and started talking. They went on a few dates before things started getting serious. That was six months ago. I hadn't really been around all that much, but I was happy that she had found someone. He seemed really nice too. It was strange at first for me to see her with someone who wasn't my dad, but I wanted her to be happy.

'Okay, I'll stay then.' James and I looked at each other and smiled, both excited at the prospect of spending the night together after a week apart.

'Cool,' he said, 'shall we dump your stuff up in my room?'

'Okay.'

James grabbed my bag and we went upstairs. There was no reason it needed both of us to take it, other than the fact we wanted to alone, away from the eyes of our families for a moment. Once we were in his room, James closed the door behind him. We looked at each other for a second, then moved in for a real kiss.

'Oh my god, I've missed you,' I said as I finally removed my tongue from his mouth.

'I've missed you too,' he said.

'Do you think people would miss us if we were gone a little bit longer,' I said, gesturing towards the bed.

Instead of answering in words, he pushed me towards the bed and pulled off my T-shirt.

When I think back, I wonder why it took James and I so long to get together. I was so distracted by guys I met at parties, or in one case online to see. I guess I had to travel a long way to see what was right in front of my eyes the whole time.