Chapter 7 | Jumping and Running

Start from the beginning

We jumped, because swaying our hips wasn't a good option at first. The real fun began when Kat challenged the group to actually dance to their feet - to sway their hips, move more and groove to the beat until our waists were numb. It was ridiculous, especially in account to the guys who resembled skeletons dancing. But I had to admit it was the best of the best so far that I've been with them again.

It was a breath of relief to surrender to the rhythm of the music - to everything but this, the people I loved around me, their grins and hysterical laughter, the blasting speakers and blinding lights, even the strangers who rubbed, nearly their faces now, to fellow strangers. It was good to let go sometimes. No cage, no hesitation, no fears, Hakuna Matata.

Tonight, this was my comfort zone.

*

I thought it would take another hour, but finally, I had my target a few meters away from our table. Luke was drinking with her by the bar, laughing, flirting, and all that romantic jazz. All I had to do was ask Steph to come to the comfort room with me and the revelations would begin.

"Sure, Cara." She agreed to accompany me, and then we headed to the ladies room which was fortunately near the bar. Luke was still there, but Vanessa wasn't. He was grinning at the dance floor, and when I followed his gaze, I spotted Vanessa dancing with apparent circle of peers, or was it just a bunch of strangers she was forcing herself to?

Nevertheless, I was determined to get him caught. Steph and I passed a couple of tables and reached the comfort room. I had a clear view on Luke by then, but he didn't seem to notice me, which was good.

After I came out, Steph followed in, saying her bladder was also about to burst. I waited til I got his attention, and he approached me soon enough upon recognition.

"Cara?" He said behind my back.

I turned to meet his eyes, faking a surprised look. "Hey, Luke."

"H-hey. Hey, Cara." He was beaming but there was a huge hint of nervosity in his eyes and by the tone of his voice.  "W-what are you doing here? Who are you with?"

"Oh, I'm actually with your girlfriend." Panic crossed his eyes and it made me giggle mentally. "The girls and I invited her to a night out. But the boys are present as mere chaperones."

"R-really, now." He chuckled nervously. "Where is Steph?"

"She's in the ladies room." I said." I hope you don't mind if we, you know, snatched your girlfriend away. I just wanted to treat her for getting me in Cupiditea."

"No problem, Montez."

"She's really great, Luke. You must have been hit pretty bad by this one."

He only beamed and his eyes were skeptical. "Hey, Montez. Do you mind not telling her you saw me here? We're kind of not in a good place right now, and she really hates it when I go clubbing by myself."

Smooth criminal. That was Luke. He was so good at lying he could get promoted if it was his job.

I merely eyed him intently and shook my head in a mocking way.

"What?" He said. "Please, Cara. I don't really plan on waking up to another argument. Do me a favor and let's keep this to ourselves?"

I snickered. He was utterly unbelievable. "Go away, you scumbag."

I could have said that. I had the urge of blurting that out. But I didn't.

"Right, well, it's none of my business, really."

He sighed a breath of relief. "Thank you. I appreciate this. I'll go ahead now, alright."

I didn't bother answering and merely watched him go. This was exasperating. Why won't fate allow such revelation? Steph didn't deserve any of this. No girl, or any person in particular, deserved this situation, this betrayal, this- this whole lie. She didn't deserve to be with this kind of man and Luke definitely didn't deserve anybody at all.