Prologue.

Thomas Shelby is known as a master manipulator, dealmaker and entrepreneur, whose unbridled ambition and personality are matched by his instincts for survival. The man was feared far more than he was loved, and depending on the day, women and their children would cross the street when they saw him. He's a stoic, calculating and ambitious man, but most of all, the bloke is unpredictable.

The man would be lying if he said that he felt like the good guy in any scenario. He knows what he's capable of and the lives he's taken; the boys he's ripped away from mothers, husbands he's torn from wives and children. He's lost everything; Grace, his boy who he's afraid of corrupting, and any potential ounce of happiness. Thomas is stuck between a rock and a hard place. He's been abusing any substance he can get his hand on, and he's addicted to the adrenaline that the aggression gives him.

The wind rustles through the trees; shaking the leaves in the musty air. The creek trickles between the rocks and sticks, carrying whatever cargo it possesses. The sun is hiding behind the dark clouds, and the temperature continues to drop, or maybe that's Tommy's anxiety talking. The man sighs, pinching the bridge between his eyes as he squeezes his eyes tightly. This was it; he knew what he must do. Not just for him, but for his boy, for his family.

Tommy reaches for the gun and takes a deep breath as the sound of the creek soothes him, almost to reassure him of his choice. The man presses the gun to his temple while taking a deep breath. He can swear that he hears a twig snap from behind him, but he's already this close, he can't give up now.

"Sir?" A voice calls out.

Thomas ignores them, pulling the trigger.