To Die For // Part One

tw// dark themes throughout the chapter

Everyone at Pop's seemed to be ignoring me, which I liked, but the sympathetic smile Pop gave me this morning almost sent me into tears. I felt so fragile like I would crack the second anything that reminded me of him. I had left my apartment early this morning without waking up any of my uninvited guests before escaping as quietly as possible.

I barely had grasped my coffee before I was pulled into the arms of Cheryl Blossom. I took a deep breath of her expensive maple-based perfume before hugging her back tightly.

"Sweet flower. I am so, so sorry. We always rivaled as teen queens of tragedy but now I feel we are evenly matched."

I gave her a forced smile as we let go. She kept my shoulders in her grasp. "It seems so, Cheryl."

"Promise me you won't do it," She begged and elaborated when I gave her a confused look, "Take your own life. We all know you and Jughead were Riverdale High's Hamlet and Ophelia. I personally know what it's like to lose your other half. The despairing thoughts can flood without warning. Don't let them drown you."

I knew my eyes were red and swollen from previously crying as she wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me into her side. "I promise I won't," I whispered, clinging to her as if I depended on it.

"From now on, Savanna Marrows, you're under suicide watch. Consider me your constant shadow," She explained with a smile. "What's first on today's agenda?"

I let out a huff as we exited through the door of Pop's. "I have to go to Stonewall Prep to get the rest of his stuff."

Cheryl nodded as we climbed into my car. "To the creepy prep school, we go."

The drive was mainly quiet with a mumbled conversation between the two of us, mainly Cheryl trying to brighten my spirits while I hummed in response as I stared blankly ahead at the road. Before I liked it, Stonewall was in front of me as I took a spot in the parking lot. A few of the students lingered outside around picnic tables and I feared running into someone who would recognize me.

"Mon amour, tell me what's on your mind?" Cheryl's voice was so loving and caring that it sent me to tears in seconds. I had obviously zoned out for longer than I expected if she was asking.

I shook my head as I stared at the school in front of me. "I don't know if I can keep doing this, Cheryl. I keep waiting for him to come back, and he won't. He won't ever come back. And I don't know how I'm supposed to keep going."

Cheryl grabbed my wrist from the steering wheel and held my hand between both of hers. "Day by day, flower. You're going to get through this. We'll all get through this. I promise you, I will never go a day without hearing from you, do you understand?"

I nodded, my left hand leaving the wheel to rest on top of both of hers as I gave her a small smile. "Thank you."

"Please don't thank me," She dismissed as she brushed a tear from my cheek. "Come on. Let's hurry and get the hell away from this Axe and testosterone reeking school before I stab someone with my heels."