The Preppy Murders // Part Two

apologies for the lack of update last week! hoping a longer chap will make up for it :)

--

My attempt at catching up on sleep was ruined when my phone rang, again, in the early hours of the morning. I groaned loudly before shifting to pick the device up and bring it to my ear. "Hello?"

"You have to help me, Savanna."

I hesitated for a moment. "Donna?"

"Somebody is killing us," She continued to explain. I could hear the rain pattering on her end of the line.

"What are you talking about?" I asked as I pushed myself to sit up. This needed to be a dream. I know this bitch wasn't calling to ask for my help.

"First Bret, then Joan. And I think I'm next. My life is at stake. I'm going into hiding."

I sighed and rubbed my eyes. "Give me a break, Donna. Why the hell should I help you after everything? I'm not being drawn into your twisted games again."

She almost sobbed at my words. "Whoever's doing this, it has to be related."

"Oh, you mean related to when you tried to kill my boyfriend?" I fired back and let my hand flop against the comforter. "Don't ever call me again."

I hung up the phone without another word, feeling slightly guilty for talking to her that way. Regardless, she and her friends had put me through some shit and I didn't owe her a damn thing.

--

Finding Jughead the next evening wasn't hard to do, considering he was standing there when I opened my apartment door. I took one look at him before moving to the side so he could move past me into the space.

"Oh, you weren't kidding about moving."

I shut the door slowly. "Yeah, that wasn't a lie. Just the bare minimum is left." There was a moment of awkward silence before I spoke up again. "Donna called me at 5 AM this morning."

"Donna?" He repeated his ex-classmate's name. "What'd she have to say?"

I nodded. "She said she thinks they're getting taken out one by one. Apparently, Joan was murdered with a rock to the head. I called her house this morning and found out."

"So we have a preppy murderer on the loose?" He asked and took a seat at my kitchen counter. "The Blue Velvet Video guy killed himself."

I winced at his phrasing. "So, if he's dead then there's nobody going after Donna... right? If we follow that theory."

Jughead nodded and pointed toward me. "If we follow that theory being the key phrase. It seems a little too neat, like you said. Dude doesn't confess to his crimes and just kills himself. I don't buy it. Why now?"