Quiz Show // Part One

Start from the beginning

"Really?" He asked as if I was going to say anything different.

"Yes," I assured. "Yes, and if you're not going to believe me, let me show you how much."

My good morning vibes were killed the moment I left Jughead's dorm and stepped foot near Bret Weston Wallis. "Oh, you two are finally done?" He commented as I rolled my eyes and stopped to listen to him. "I thought I was gonna be late for class. Oh, see you in New Haven next year. You'll only be a visitor, of course, since you know, trying to escape abusive parents and all that fun stuff."

"You got into Yale?" I questioned, partially because I believed Bret was dumb as rocks behind that blond head of his.

"Yeah, don't look so surprised," He shot back, "And don't worry Savanna, I will try and keep the co-eds away from Forsythe. No promises. But, I do promise to crush you in Quiz Show finals, if Riverdale makes it that far."

--

Any free time I had was spent with my nose in books and study guides prepping for the Quiz Show. If I didn't beat Stonewall, I would literally lose the last remaining bits of sanity that I was holding on to. Now, the moment had come to work our way to victory. I stood next to Veronica at the podium where we had buzzers and microphones within grasp. Cheryl, Toni, and Betty followed my sister down the line, all five of us doing our best to rack up as many points as possible.

"Welcome back to the Regional RIVW Quiz Show's semi-finals! Seaside High trails Riverdale 210 to 240, and now, for the final round." The announcer began the question, "Which Venetian island has been famous for glassmaking since the 13th century?"

Veronica's hand moved quickly to smack the button causing a sound to ring out. "Murano," She answered correctly before leaning towards me. "We're never going in August again. So many mosquitoes."

I rolled my eyes at her before listening in again. "What is the length of the diagonal if the side of the square is 10?"

Toni jumped on this one in a split second. "10 square root of 2."

"Correct!"

My eyes caught those of Bret's as I scanned the observing bystanders. I wanted nothing more than to show him he was no better than the rest of us.

"Which of the following is the powerhouse of the cell?"

My hand hit the button so hard it stung. "Mitochondria." The only science thing I can remember.

"Which American architect's house in southwest Pennsylvania-"

"Frank Lloyd Wright."

"Correct!" The final bell sounded as points added to the digital screen in front of us. "Well, time's up. Riverdale has won! They will go on to face Stonewall Prep in the finals."

Veronica's hands grabbed my arm excitedly as we waited for filming to cut before stepping away from our spots. I walked over to the water jug and grabbed a cup before pouring some in.

"Savanna, you did great out there," Charles interrupted my mindful celebration as I turned to face him.

I gave him a small smile. "Thanks, Charles. I'm worried great may not be enough to beat him." I glared over at where Bret was conversing with the host of the show.

Charles hummed in acknowledgment. "Ah, that's Bret, right? Betty told me about how you two don't really get along."

"Bret Weston Wallis," I sneered as I took a sip of my drink. I paused for a moment as I thought something over. "Any way you could help me with him? Betty said you've always got a few tricks up your sleeve."