Hereditary // Part Three

Start from the beginning

"What is that?" Veronica blurted behind me as she, too, saw the image ahead. The place above Dad's desk where the portrait of Veronica used to lie had been replaced, this time with one of Hermosa.

"A painting Papi had commissioned for me," Hermosa replied blankly as she grabbed papers from his desk, something Veronica and I were never permitted to do. "He said to put it in a place of honor. He said 'only the best for the apple of my eye'."

Veronica nodded. "Of course he did," She replied bitterly. "I should have known. Well, I was going to say we agreed to attend this bogus vowel renewal, but instead... tell him we'll be skipping it. Our mom can roll out the welcome mat for you two rum-sucking leeches if she wants. But I'm not giving up my space nor my place in this family. I'm not giving an inch. Not to you. Not ever. She turned on her heels to exit the room.

"Well, hermana(Sister)? Is she speaking for you as well?" Hermosa asked as she stood next to Hiram's desk.

I suddenly felt so out of place as I took in the room. Veronica, the girl I had come to call my best friend and sister, in her black dress complimented with the white pearls of her necklace. Hermosa, a new sibling sparkling in a white dress, with her own set of pearls on her neck. It suddenly became very clear, to me in my plaid skirt and sweater with Jughead's bracelet on my wrist, where I belonged.

"I'll be there."

"Vanna, what?" Veronica snapped.

Hermosa smiled. "Papi will be thrilled to hear that." She passed me to step out of the study to exit the apartment altogether, leaving me to face my raging sister.

"Are you kidding me?" She hissed as she motioned towards the door. "You're just going to let him win? Just like that?"

I shook my head in disagreement. "I'm not letting him win, Veronica! Where do you even see that?"

"You just signed a deal to let him back in practically! He knows you're within grasp now!''

"Veronica, I was never in his grasp!" I shouted back as I threw my hands out in motion. "I literally have had nothing to do in this family since we moved to Riverdale. I wasn't allowed to be part of the business because I was unstable. My boyfriend was and is consistently shunned for who he is, not to mention, I don't even live here because, oh, that's right, our so-called father decided to put me in a mental asylum for almost four months! Don't tell me I'm letting him win, because I never had a chance in the first place!"

My sister was pissed, it was so clear, but when she crossed her arms, I knew it was bad. She shook her head with a small laugh before collapsing back onto the couch. "Give me a break, Savanna! Your boyfriend rambled in the business without a right to. Not to mention, he got you involved in a gang! A gang! You've literally almost died, and you've been put in harm's way, and you've been devastated because of him, so I don't want to hear how Jughead's helping because it seems he's only made it worse."

"I love him!" I shouted, "I love him more than anyone I ever have before, and you know what, I'm sorry that you probably can't say the same about Archie. Veronica, I could walk out and leave tomorrow, and nobody here would notice, except Jughead. I'm so messed up, I have so many issues and for once, I would like to have a family, someone to call Mom and Dad that I can come home to. Don't you get that? I know Hiram pisses you off, and I know he's done awful things, but I've lost a dad once already. I don't know if I can do it again!"

Veronica shook her head in return, this time biting her tongue and resulting in the silent treatment. I groaned and squeezed my eyes shut tightly before scooping up my overnight bag and phone from the chair. I sent a quick text and received an instant reply before I stomped towards the door. My hand grabbed the knob and I hesitated to twist it before looking back. Veronica looked so defeated.

I sighed, "I'm sorry, Ronnie. For everything."

My saving grace came in the form of Reggie Mantle's car outside the Pembrooke lobby as I tried to dodge the rain on my exit. I tossed myself in the backseat with a loud huff before closing the door behind me. "Thanks for picking me up."

"Are we gonna get the tea?" Felicity turned to look at me from her spot in the passenger seat with eager eyes.

I shook my head and leaned back against the comfortable seats. "Maybe. Get me a warm blanket and my dog and you'll probably get some tears."

So, that's exactly what my friends did. Felicity had already been in my apartment, dog sitting for the night, so it didn't take long for me to receive a fluffy blanket and crash on the couch next to Mocha.

"What the hell happened?" Reggie asked as he pressed play on the show they had been previously watching, although now it just served as background noise.

I shook my head. "Hermosa is likely coming in the family to take her fair share," I explained, "Veronica's pissy because she feels like her spot's being stolen, which I understand, but if we're being honest, I didn't have much of a spot to begin with since we moved to Riverdale. My parents are renewing their vows tomorrow and wanted us to go. Veronica said no, I said yes, and here we are."

"Damn," Reggie commented as he leaned back into the cushions. "To live the Lodges' life."

I snorted and let my head fall against the pillows behind me. "Oh, Reggie. You have no idea."

"Girl, I'm serious. I say we pack it up and head to NYC for a week... or two... or maybe a month," Felicity suggested with a serious tone. "You know how I feel about this town."

"If you felt bad, why did you move here?" Reggie asked as he shoved her arm gently.

My friend rolled her eyes and shoved him back. "Because I can, thank you very much. I'm just saying, a little rest and relaxation won't kill you. May would love the company, especially Mister Mocha here." She scrunched my dog's face as she spoke about him. "Just think about it. Maybe over winter break?"

I hummed. "I'll think about it. New York is kinda pretty in the snow."

My mind didn't clear completely as I spent the night in Felicity's and Reggie's presence, but it was better than sitting here alone rewinding my conversation with Veronica. I had faith that maybe if I believed in it strong enough, my family would stitch itself back together, slowly but surely. I may be wrong, but at least I could say I tried.

--

someone give me scene ideas... or dialogue prompts... or anything pls

also I'm excited for the next episode byeeeee