Chapter 5

Chapter 5

I walked outside the two wide and tall doors and began walking down the street towards the nearest store. I'm constantly paranoid that my parents are going to win the custody battle. As I'm walking down the street I notice a black Chevrolet suburban creeping behind me. Naturally, I start walking faster. The car starts going faster. I start running while panicking. I'm freaking out I turn around the corner, the car quickly catching up to me. I'm quickly running out of breath but I keep pushing because I'm not letting anything happen to me. Luckily, the store is just down the street so I run even faster and make it into the Target superstore that's there.

I run through the automatic doors. I run to the very far end of the store and whip out my phone. I call Lily, not knowing who else to call. I see two angry-looking people walk through the door. One is a man very large, almost resembling my father. The other a woman, thin but intimidating like my mother. I creep in closer trying to figure out who they are. One of them sees me and I book it the other direction. Lily finally picks up.

"Lily, I'm at the Target down the street. This car was chasing me as I was walking down so I started running and they followed me inside. I'm scared, out of breath, and I feel really light-headed. I don't know what to do. But I don't want to call the cops either." I say in one breath.

"Okay okay calm down. I'm on my way. It's okay." Lily hangs up and gets in her car and rushes over to Target.

I'm hiding in the men's clothing department trying to catch my breath. I look away from the aisles and try to catch my breath. The clothes have bold colors and smelled like cheap cologne. I feel comforted by the fact that when I walked in there were tons of people everywhere, so nothing bad could happen.

I hear the footsteps getting closer and closer to me. Then they pass. I let go a sigh of relief, I'm such an idiot those were probably just a normal couple going to get clothes.. I peer my head out of the ring of pants that I'm sitting in the middle of. No one. I sneak out and start running outside. I feel a tug at the back of my collar on my shirt. The grip keeps getting tighter and tighter to the point where I almost can't breathe.

"L-let me go" I hesitate. I couldn't get a clear look of the man's face but I could hear a woman say "Let him go! You're going to hurt him." Her voice sounded familiar as well. I was too light-headed to figure out who though.

"Not yet you little punk" That deep, raspy voice is so familiar. I can't tell who it is yet. It's getting harder and harder to breathe. "I'm not letting you escape again" What did he mean by "again...I feel even more lightheaded... I'm... I'm tired... I slowly start to fall asleep and feel a rag or towel of some sort over my mouth. A few employees from Target see what's happening and grab me from the man and try to hold him back from me. Everything is kind of hazy. I closed my eyes for a little bit and I woke up to a few police officers around me along with Lily.

"Hey kid, are you okay?" Lily says kneeling by me.

"Yeah. I think that guy just made it harder for me to breathe so I probably just passed out from the lack of oxygen." I say sitting up grasping my throat. It feels like it's tightening up. It didn't just feel like "lack of oxygen," I look back and see a rag behind me. I pick it up and notice how moist it is. I take a small sniff of it and notice something isn't right with it. I must have been knocked out for at least an hour maybe.

"Officer," I say, "I'm pretty sure he used this on me. I think he was trying to kidnap me..." I hand the cloth over to the officer. He takes a good look at it and takes a small sniff. He runs a test on it to see if it is laced with any kind of drug.

"Yup it's ketamine," The officer says.

"What's that?" I ask, obviously concerned.

"It is a drug that people will use to knock out their victims to then kidnap them." The officer explains. "I don't think it had much effect on you. You should be fine within an hour or so. You'll probably just be hazy and tired for a little bit."