Chapter Ten

"Okay, Mister glass-half-empty-with-a-bloody-crack-on-the-rim. What makes you happy then?"

"Acting, reading, running, watching the sunrise —"

"On Parliament Hill?"

His eyes warmed. "On Parliament Hill. Yeah. Spending time with my mates in a pub. Music. A lot of things."

"Music. I like music. What's the most surprising song in your playlist?"

"Nothing weird."

"I don't believe you," she teased as she crossed her arms.

"Just normal stuff. Rolling Stones. The Clash. Blur. Sting."

"Well. Let me tell you mine, and then you tell me yours. Deal?"

She extended her hand for a handshake. He took it and held it firmly in his hand for a second too long. Oh, how he wanted more than just a handshake – a hug, a kiss. But this was not the place nor the time for that.

Leïla continued. "So. The most embarrassing song on my iPod would be..." She covered her face with her hands before adding, "The Thong Song."

"What? That's the most misogynistic song!"

"I know, right?" She laughed as she recited the lyrics to the song. "She had dumps like a truck, truck, truck. Thighs like what, what, what... "

"Baby, move your butt, butt, butt," he joined her wriggling his eyes, and his laugh met hers.

"Honestly, I just love the rhythm, the violins. And it was a hit back home and they used to play it all the time in the clubs. It was just a fun song to dance to with my friends. Your turn, what about you?"

"Nah, I can't possibly tell."

"Is it that cringey? Ooh, now I'm dying to know."

"Well, there's a back story."

"Of course, there is."

"I'm not a snob or anything."

"Uh-huh," she said, pretending to not be convinced.

"You see, there was this girl I fancied. She took weekend classes in the local theatre where I lent a hand and she loved this song and used to dance to it all the time."

"So, what is it? The suspense is killing me!"

He cleared his throat and added in a low voice, "Hit me, baby, one more time."

"I'm sorry. I didn't get that. What song did you say?"

"I knew this was too embarrassing."

Shaking her head, she sat back with a grin. This guy was everything she had always wanted in a man. He was exciting and kind and caring and playful. His smile gave her butterflies, and the depth of his eyes touched her soul.

She felt herself blush when Edward looked at her quizzically as if reading her mind. He motioned with his thumb toward the back to the plane and said, "I'll be back in a jiffy."

Leïla closed her eyes for a moment as he left for the loo. The rattling and clinking sound of the food trolley pushed by the flight attendants and the smell of hot dishes filled the plane.

Her shoulders relaxed. This trip was turning into something she wouldn't have expected in a million years. They had been talking about everything and nothing, sharing memories and secrets, asking each other silly and not so silly questions. She always answered honestly, and she felt he did as well. It was like meeting a long-lost friend and not a stranger she knew nothing about a mere hours ago. Her heart squeezed as these were probably the last moments they would be spending together. She wondered if he would stay in San Francisco before heading to LA. Only one way to find out.