17. A Mother's Love

Start from the beginning

When Cabir didn't speak anything, Nyonika turned to the elder twin. "Manik, you can be called to the office if they need any signature or if there's an emergency."

"Yes, mom", replied Manik.

Manik started taking care of the office in emergencies when Nyonika wasn't available. Cabir wondered how Manik would handle the entire Malhotra Industries one day. His interests aligned in an entirely different field, the main reason for the feud with his mother, according to him. He couldn't help his Manik even if he wanted to. He hardly understood a thing in business.

"Contact the manager if you need anything. Shall I increase the security around the house?", asked Nyonika.

"No, mom. It's fine."

"If someone is coming against your will, either talk to the security chief or tell me. I will talk to them."

"Yes, mom. Sure."

Unable to restrain himself anymore, Cabir rolled his eyes. "Is this stupid meeting done?", he interrupted them.

"What?", asked his mother.

"Do you think Manik is one of your employees at the office? You have been barking instructions at him since the time we entered the room", he asked, ignoring the way Manik's eyes widened and then narrowed at him in a warning.

"Cabir, stay in your limits while I am not here to clear up if you mess anything", warned Nyonika.

He chuckled. There it goes. "Let me tell you one thing. In case you have forgotten, I am your son and not one of your employees who would puppet every instruction of yours. Surprised, right?"

"I don't care what you do with your life, Cabir. You have never listened to anything I have said before and I stopped expecting from you. Now, things are different. Manik is living here. Your one bad decision might put both of you in trouble and I wouldn't tolerate if anything happens to him because of your stupidity."

"Manik. Manik. Manik. Isn't everything about Manik for you?", he asked, sarcastically. Cabir really wanted to know if his mother really loved Manik or if she just wanted the heir of Malhotra Industries to be in her control. He snorted. "You think you love Manik but do you even realize that you are killing your own son with your so-called love?" He could see Nyonika gritting her teeth and the clenching and unclenching of her fists didn't escape his vision but, at the moment, he could care less. "Manik is my brother and I won't even let you ruin his life."

Nyonika crossed her arms. "Manik is my son. Why would I ruin his life?"

"Aren't you already? Do you realize, you can't hold his hand forever or make him walk throughout his life? Why don't you let him look at the world or understand the people here? Mom, let him breathe. You are suffocating him."

The words shocked Cabir as much as it did to Nyonika. Both of them stared at each other unable to react. Cabir's eyes widened when he realized neither the words were his nor did he plan to cross his line with his mother. Ever. Of course, they had disagreements and he was convinced she hated him with all her heart but apart from being his mother, she was the Nyonika Malhotra. A person who could make or break the lives of people with a single phone call. Who was he in front of her?

"Get out", said Nyonika.

And for the first time since he was a teenager, he obliged his mother's order without a protest with whatever self-preservation he was left within his body. He walked out of the room and distinctly heard Nyonika asking Manik to leave her alone when his brother 'apologized' on Cabir's behalf. He forgot about Manik's presence in the room. He mentally kicked himself and hurried to his room. Grabbing his car keys and the camera, he left the mansion to avoid everyone including his brother. Especially his brother. Cabir knew he had disappointed Manik, might have even scared him with the arguments but before handling him, he needs to clear his head.