Chapter 11: Humpty Dumpty

Start from the beginning

I was growing tired of this conversation. She was just as hard-headed as I was. I didn't want to fight with her anymore. I wasn't going to lose another best friend over this game. I needed her.

***

I stood in the corner, sulking, as I watched Luke shamelessly flirt with her. She threw her long, blonde hair back as she giggled. I watched her subtly place her hand on his chest. And he didn't even bother to remove it. He probably would have if I was looking, but he was probably too distracted by her to even notice.

He loved me? Yeah right. What a joke.

I heard her shriek, "You are so funny, Luke."

"Thanks," he said in his suave voice, "and you're too cute for your own good."

Color tinged her cheeks as she went to kiss his. "I can't look at this anymore," I muttered, feeling like a stalker and shuffling away.

I knew he wanted to win this game. Why was I so naïve as to believe that he didn't? It's all he's been talking about since freshmen year. Besides, by the looks of it, it looks like he's the competition in the bag.

Apparently the blonde was in my Lit class, and she sat right next to me. "Hi, I'm Hannah, what's your name?" she chirped, holding her hand out for me to shake it. I wasn't sure if her smile was naturally that wide or if it was just fake.

"Charlotte," I hissed , ignoring the gesture.

She recoiled. "You don't have to be so rude about it."

"I don't like you."

"You don't even know me."

"I don't have to."

She made a 'hmmph' sound and turned around to talk to someone more friendly. I have no idea where that came from. I usually wasn't so cold. What was wrong with me? As soon as we stopped talking, Ian began to charm her, and he was pulling out all the moves.

I looked away, disgusted. I didn't realize I was holding a pencil, because it snapped in half. I groaned. That was my last pencil. I went up to the front and got a golf one. They shouldn't make pencils like this-stubby with no eraser? That's like the leftovers of every other used pencil.

***

The sky was a thunderous grey and rain was spilling out of the threatening clouds looming above. Cold rain. And I was the victim getting soaked. I bet Dad took a nap and forgot to set the alarm. My choices were to walk or wait out here. Either way I was still going to get wet and sick. The doors automatically lock after school, and no one was inside to open it for me.

Right now, I wish that I was speaking to Luke. At least I wouldn't be cold. Several times, I almost did, but I used my self control. I don't know how Dad managed to stay asleep after all my calls. Knowing him, it was probably on silent. I sighed and rubbed my hands together, in an attempt to warm them up. Who knew October could be so cold?

"Need a ride?"

I turned around and saw Tyler coming out of the doors. He was wearing his signature outfit-a leather jacket, a wife beater, and dark jeans. Wasn't he cold? Although, that leather jacket might keep him warm. Maybe he wasn't even cold. I hesitated. Should I? Dad wasn't coming anytime soon. It seemed like the only logical thing to do.

He sensed my uncertainty because he said, "Look, I'm not going to rape your or anything. If I remember correctly, I was the one who saved you."

I sighed. "Sure."

He handed me a black helmet. "Put it on."

"Why do I need to put on a helmet?"

"It's the law."