Chapter Forty Two

"Good morning, sleeping beauties. There's a beautiful day ahead of us. Let's not waste a minute of it, okay?" Rhys bellows bright early the next morning, causing me to moan and bury my head in my pillow.

But instead, I nuzzle into something warm and solid. I squint my eyes open to see Ryker peacefully sleeping beside me, his arms securely wrapping my body. The events of last night flood my mind, making me feel dizzy for a second, but when the realization of sleeping next to Ryker sets in, I bolt upright.

I look at Rhys with a definite expression of guilt and mortification but rather than showing any disappointment or disapproval, he gives me a bright smile, plopping on my bed next to his brother and jerking him awake.

"Wake up, Ryker.... Get up, get up" he shakes his shoulders vigorously until Ryker removes his hands from my body and pushes Rhys

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" he asks, annoyed, removing his hair from his face. When he turns his face towards me, his eyes widen, as if just realizing that he was in the same bed as me the entire night.

"Shit. I slept here?" he asks to no one particular, running a hand through his long hair.

"Are you surprised? Cuddling with Rosie is almost addictive" Rhys says with a grin, a totally unexpected reaction. It kind of makes me feel more guilty though, knowing that he has no idea about how I might feel for his brother, having complete faith in me even when I'm sure to break it.

"What are you doing here? Came to join the cuddle fest?" Ryker asks. I hear his voice change into a defensive tone, deflecting any suspicion.

"Nah. I'll get my turn some other day. Or night. Right now, we have a trip to plan" he says

"What trip?" Ryker asks

"Hate to interrupt, but we have classes and now that I'm awake, I'm gonna go get ready" I say, sliding off my bed. Somehow, my legs wobble but Rhys holds my arms, supporting my wait.

"You are not going to college today" Rhys says in an authoritative voice.

"I've already missed enough classes, Rhys. Plus, I've had more than this petty bruises" I say it as a joke, but it turns out to be completely opposite. Rhys stiffens in front of my eyes and I hear Ryker take a long breath.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that" I say, pulling myself away from both of them.
"It's just... we're still making all that sink in, Rosie. What happened to you... with you, no one should ever experience such a thing" Rhys says softly, moving closer to me. I lower my head

"That awful bite mark is enough of a reminder" he adds, gently brushing his fingers above my wound. It's like a feather touch, soft and unnoticeable.
"How's the head?" He asks next, running a hand through my scalp

"Not as bad as it looked yesterday. I'm okay, Rhys, really" I assure him with a smile

"You were talking about a trip" Ryker reminds him.

"Oh, yes. I was thinking that since none of us is gonna go to college today and Rosie barely ever goes out, we can all hit the beach today" Rhys says. I feel my face instantly light up.

"The beach?"
Rhys nods with a grin

"So, it's settled. If we leave in an hour, we'll be there in two more" Ryker says, sliding off the bed and leaving us in the room alone

"I've never been to a beach before" I tell Rhys, smiling.
"Well, you've been missing out. Let's fix that, okay?" he says, kissing my forehead. When he turns to leave, I call his name

"I was wondering, why are you guys not going to the college? It's just me who's kind of hurt" I ask. Rhys stares at me for a minute, then smiles, "We just need an excuse"