𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎

Johnny Cade was still in school despite what a lot of greasers think

Johnny Cade was still in school despite what a lot of greasers think. He was just recovering and making slow but steady progress. His biology homework didn't take any mercy, however.

As soon as his doctor clears him, Johnny would be able to go back to school and pick up on what he's been missing. They're not sure if he had to repeat junior year since he's been gone for a good five months but his friends were more than prepared to get him back on his feet. Even Two-Bit, who never went to school to learn would sit with Johnny and try to help him as much as he could.

"So that's just the basics," Ponyboy concluded, circling a number on a piece of paper Virginia lent him from her book. Johnny rubbed his lower lip with his thumb, plunged into thought and with his other hand, he gave him a wave of dismissal. The smoke from the cigarette he held made gentle spirals in the air before disappearing.

"Forget about it, Pone. I ain't meant for school, I never was."

"Aw, Johnny, don't say that," Ponyboy encouraged, giving him a gentle nudge.

He folded his legs over a large stone plate overlooking the old pond the gang would sometimes mess around in during the summer. Steve and Soda were more than ready to do cannonballs and race each other once the final school bell rang. He could see the tire swing assembled spin around gently in the cool evening breeze.

Virginia was busy herself, pressing her fingers against the side of her nose to make it look smaller.

"My nose ain't lookin' refined..." Her voice was nasal as her fingers pushed against her nose harder. She removed her fingers and pressed down on the tip.

"I like your nose," Johnny offered with smoke trailing out from his lips.

"All you need is some more practice and you'll be alright. Bet you can even get to senior year," Ponyboy said. "Ain't that right, Bluebell?"

She nodded, still pressing on her nose and sat upright. She looked at Johnny who was still rubbing his lip in thought and staring at the genetic processes problem.

"Johnny, it'll be alright, you hear? I talked to Mrs. Wilson and she gets what's goin' on," Virginia explained. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and watched Johnny's curious face wilt into one of guilt.

"Y'all don't have to do this."

"Yeah? But we want to," Ponyboy argued, raising his cigarette to his mouth again. He tossed the pen to his sister who caught it between her fingers and nodded in agreement.

"I'll be alright. If I drop out, I can get by with a job or somethin'. Maybe at that oil rig or the power plant," Johnny insisted, looking up at the sky.

"Don't you limit yourself," Virginia said, her eyes trying to look at her nose.

Johnny drew on the cigarette once more but winced when he leaned back a little too much. Ponyboy instantly took ahold of his shoulder and helped him up.