5. louis and poppy

"daddy, i need you to come back." poppy says into the phone. louis can practically hear the pout in her voice. "aunt lottie read me cat in the hat but it wasn't good. she's not a good reader like you."

louis smiles softly. "i can't my love."

poppy whines. "daddy, please."

"can't, love. you need to be getting a bath soon, anyways. and you need to go to bed, school in the morning, little miss."

"i know." poppy huffs.

"sorry, babe." louis sighs. "i'll be there to pick you up and take you to school in the morning though."

"i know." she says sadly. "i just miss you a lot."

"i know you do, pops."

"but tomorrow i sleep with you?"

louis laughs. "yes."

"good." poppy yawns. "'m gonna go, daddy. work hard. i love you, daddy."

"bye, baby. sleep tight, ask aunt lot to braid your hair, yeah?"

"okay."

"i love you." louis murmurs.

"i love you, daddy." poppy says quietly.

louis hangs up and shoves his cell phone back in his pocket, before he stands back up and walks out of the break room.

niall claps his back instantly from behind him. "table six's order is ready, mate." he points to the black tray on the silver counter where the chef puts the food.

louis hums and nods. "thanks." he takes the tray and walks out into the restaurant portion to the tables, and sets the tray on an empty table beside the curly haired asswipe's table. he unloads the tray haphazardly and lazily. "there."

the guy looks up, eyes wide. "um... thanks?"

"whatever."

curls narrows his eyes and turns away from him, muttering under his breath, "whatever, at least 'm not a perv."

louis' eyes go wide. "what?"

the guy doesn't respond, so louis hits his arm lightly.

"what did you say about me?"

"i said at least i'm not a pervert." the curly haired guy says lowly, under his breath.

"how am i a pervert? i just handed you your food."

the guy rolls his eyes. "you were hanging out at a little girls ballet studio." he says, picking at his chips, and running his finger along the cap of the beer. "only perverts do that."

louis clenches his fists. "i have a fucking kid." he says through gritted teeth.

he's silent for a moment. "a kid."

louis nods, and rolls his eyes. "yes, a kid."

"oh."

annoyed, louis huffs, "yeah. her name's poppy. she does ballet. with your kid, i think. i have a reason to be at the studio, and its not because i'm a pervert."

"poppy...?" he repeats, picking up a chip and putting it in his mouth. he turns to look louis up and down. "you have a kid."

louis takes a deep breath and squeezes his eyes shut, before he opens them again. "yeah. i do. you have a kid?"

"hannah..."

"i know who your daughter is."

the guy eats a chip, and takes a sip of his beer. "at least someone does."