Chapter 3: Breaking The Ice

(F/N) POV

The training with Winter had been, for lack of any more pleasant term, promising. Though only a month in, I adjusted to the schedule and appeared to be making progress with combat. There was, however, still a problem that Ironwood would point out during weekly updates. Winter and I have yet to make any progress in our relationship. I am as guilty as she is though in the undeniable truth that neither of us wants to take the first step in building a real siblinghood between us. I'm personally fine with how things are at the moment since we aren't at each other's throats.

As for normal classes, I was currently seated in the second front row of Grimm Studies. I kept my attention focused on the lectured and tried to ignore the girl to my left. Rather difficult since she stuck out like a coffee stain on a white shirt. Mainly, it was her pink hair and the small pool of drool forming as she slept. Professor Hemlock finally reached a break in his lecture to ask a question, and after asking he slammed a book from his desk beside her, startling the girl awake.

Hemlock: "So, Neon Katt, would you happen to know the answer?" Neon's eyes darted a bit.

Neon: "Um, what was the question again, sir?" Hemlock's annoyed look shifted to me.

Hemlock: "Do you know why I brought up Cold Week?"

(F/N): "Because it's necessary for us to adjust to harsher environments, even if the Grimm aren't a threat during the winter, people still have to be taken into consideration. Stranded airships due to storms, power grid failure, and in the worst case, invasion." The professor gave me a nod before returning to the front.

Hemlock: "Correct. But it is also to make or break you. There is a reason why the ability to drop out is up until the end of Cold Week." His eyes looked in my direction. "A quarter of all Huntsmen drop out during it, even though it isn't a requirement for them to pass. Specialists are different. You will pass, or you will not come back to this academy."

Student: "Sir, what do you mean by that?" Hemlock's eyes finally moved somewhere else.

Hemlock: "You will be forced to drop out of the Specialist program. Though you have the option of transferring to Huntsmen, I have yet to see anyone who can withstand the title of Failed Specialist. Most that fail are usually too prideful."

The lecture proceeded as normal, with few questions and Neon attempting to stay awake this time. I was called out, unexpectedly, to stay after class to talk with Hemlock. Who asked me if I thought I would make it through Cold Week. Truthfully, I told him I didn't know since luck likely played a roll in it. Not just willpower. This earned a smile from him and permission to leave. I gladly did since I didn't want to be late for the next class. As normal, I walked alone down the large hallway as I hadn't had the chance to make friends within the first month. The rumors likely didn't help. I noticed Neon leaned against the wall as I was walking by and how she watched me. Before hearing her run up beside me.

Neon: "What do you think about the Faunus?"

(F/N): "I think people usually ask more pleasant questions when speaking for the first time." I looked at her pink cat tail and shrugged before looking ahead. "(F/N)."

Neon: "Schnee?" I stopped and gave her a cocked look.

(F/N): "If your next question isn't something as normal as 'how are you today,' I'm going to ignore you the rest of the way to class."

I continued to walk, and surprisingly, she stopped asking questions and walked quietly. Then she started skipping. And then walking backward in front of me. I gave her a warning that she was going to fall but was ignored. So I was about to step to the side and let her trip over the wet floor sign, but that wouldn't help anyone. As she was about to fall on her behind, I used my gravity glyphs to push her back to standing.