For the rest of the late afternoon I pottered around town, organizing bits and bobs for my new life here. I picked out a rental car, and loaded it up with groceries. After that I went to the hardware store and brought some basic furniture I could put together myself. I bought myself some wifi, sorted out a phone plan, and not being able to help myself, I searched for some presents for the twins– a plane lego set for Max that we could do together, and a couple of headbands I knew Brea could wear to ballet. It wasn't much, but it was the least I could do.

After spending more money than I ever had, I then headed to what I would now call home.

I unloaded my car and packed away all my groceries, grateful for the fridge and microwave as I quickly put together a dinner. Next up I set up some shelving units, a bedside table and a coffee table. When I knew my mother would be done work, I dialed her number and called her. She knew about me coming here, but in no way shape or form did she know that I was now, and had always been, a father of two.

"Hello?" She answered after a couple of rings.

"Hey, Mom. How are you?" I asked, glad to hear her voice again. I leant back against the counter and let out a deep breath.

"Good, good," She replied, "Busy day. You?"

"Well," I chuckled, "I've had quite the day myself. And I... have some news for you."

"Yeah?" She asked. I could almost hear the smile in her voice, and I hated that it was about to disappear.

"Um... You're a Grandma. Nana. Whatever you want to call it." I managed to get out.

It was silent.

"Sorry?" She finally questioned, "Did I just hear you right?"

I winced. "Yeah... you did."

"How?" The confusion in her tone was easily heard.

"When Kenzie and I were young... before I left, and after you moved away with the family... well, Mackenzie had twins. And they're both mine. Therefore... it makes you a Grandma."

"Oh, John." I heard her exhale, the shock slipping in. "Really?"

"Really." My throat was thick. "They're both five. A boy and a girl. Brea Madison and Max Vincent."

"Jesus Christ, J." She sounded like she was going to burst into tears.

"There's more." I warned her.

She laughed doubtfully. "How could there possibly be more?"

I took in a deep breath. "Mackenzie lives with Hayden. And... they're engaged."

"No fucking way," She cursed angrily, "That snake!"

I laughed properly for the first time in a long time. Finally, someone that understood how terrible this was for me.

"He's not..." I searched for the words, gritting my teeth, "Treating our kids right. I can just tell. And it makes me really, really mad."

"And upset," She concluded.

I swallowed. "Yeah... that too."