Chapter 53 - Do You Love Me?

Start from the beginning

While she walked to the kitchen, conflicting emotions swirled inside her.  Seeing how badly the heart attack had affected him, she wondered if that was punishment enough for what he’d done.  A few minutes later, Doug came into the kitchen.  He looked weary and sad as he took a pitcher of lemonade out of the ice box.  After pouring a glass, he joined her at the table where she was shelling peas to help Annie get an early start on dinner.

“The nurse and Annie are getting him comfortable,” he said quietly, slouching over his glass.

“Yeah,” Jess replied, not knowing what else to say.

“He’s so weak,” he said, looking up at her worriedly.

“He brought it on himself,” she muttered, the anger flaring up again.

“I know he did,” Doug admitted, slumping forward with his eyes firmly on his glass, and Jess suddenly felt guilty.  This was his dad, and in spite of everything, he still loved him.  She didn’t want to make him feel bad about it.  “We can go to the lawyer’s as soon as you’re ready,” he said, and then drained the last of his lemonade.

“I’m ready,” she said, standing so she could go wash her hands. 

She and Doug had talked to Mr. Levin back in New York, and the three of them had decided that Doug should be made trustee of her estate.  One of the law firms in town that worked for the mining company had called to say they’d received the paperwork he’d drawn up that morning in the mail, and she couldn’t wait to get it signed.  From that moment on, she’d finally be free from Uncle Jonathon’s control. 

When the two of them drove through the open gate, Jess turned to Doug.

“I want the gate kept open all the time, not just while your dad is getting flowers,” she said firmly.  “I don’t want to live behind locked gates anymore.”

“Al-right,” Doug said slowly, clearly reluctant about giving in. 

“And I want to be able to go into town whenever I want.”

“Of course, Jess,” he said emphatically, sincerity evident in his blue eyes when he looked at her.  “I don’t want you to feel like you’re not free.  Things are going to be different from now on.”

“I don’t want to have to lie about my friends, or pretend I don’t have the kinds of friends I have.  I don’t think you should either.” 

“I – guess you’re right,” Doug sighed.  “It’s going to be a big adjustment for dad.”

“But it’s something we need to change!  There have been enough lies in this family, Doug!  I don’t want to live with them anymore.”

“I know,” he said quietly, looking guilty, and she peered out the window at the passing scenery, feeling bad again.  Maybe someday she and Doug could speak openly about the past without it being painful.

When they arrived at the law firm, they were quickly ushered into an office, and after Jess was introduced to Mr. Anderson, they took seats in front of his desk.

“You understand that this will transfer the role of trustee from your uncle, to Douglas,” he said, setting papers in front of them.

“Yes, sir.  I understand,” Jess replied.

“And when you turn twenty-five, you’ll have full access to your money and the estate, including the property, the home, and Blackwell Iron and Mining.”

“Yes, but I want to give the mine and property to Doug.  I think he should have it.  It’s not fair he didn’t inherit it just because –.”  She stopped, suddenly realizing she was about to say too much.