project iii.

Depuis le début

            “A beanie?  Really?” Louis said, voice squeaking.  He turned around to look at a nearby mirror.  “Do you think it looks okay?”

            Zayn chuckled.  “Everything looks great on you,” he assured him.  “You could wear a potato sack and still look like a model.”

            Louis blushed.  “So if I wore a potato sack to our wedding, you’d be fine with it?” he teased.

            Zayn nodded.  “You’d still be the hottest one there.”

            Louis snorted, taking the beanie off his head.  “You’re the one to talk.”

            Louis turned around and went back to looking through the various racks of clothing.  He ran his hand along the metal bars, pushing back the hangers.  He didn’t really pay attention to the price tags, if he’s honest.  After all, Zayn did say he’d buy him anything he wanted.

Zayn noticed that Louis was very particular with his choosing of clothing.  The truth is, Mr. Tomlinson had been paying close attention to all of Harry’s smallest habits— whether it be his tendency to chew on pen caps, or the way he twirls his bracelets when he’s nervous.  He also noticed that whenever Harry had the chance to choose any color, which was fairly common in art class, he picked orange.  He always picked orange.  It was his favorite color, Louis assumed.

            And maybe that’s why Louis— whether it was consciously or subconsciously— picked out an orange jumper, orange boxers, and orange socks.

            They left that particular store carrying large bags full of warm clothes.  Zayn even bought a few things for himself, too.  They walked side by side through the mall, shuffling through the crowds of people.  Louis reached down gently and grabbed Zayn’s hand, squeezing it.

            “Thanks for everything,” he said.

            Zayn scrunched up his face.   “Nah, no need to thank me.  My money is your money.”

            Louis scoffed.  “Shut up and let me thank you,” he snorted.  “I mean it, okay?  You’re getting a reward when we get home.”

            “I thought I had my reward this morning in the shower.”

            Louis smirked, rubbing his thumb over the back of Zayn’s hand, right over his bird tattoo.  “Oh babe, that was only part one.”

            Zayn cursed under his breath just as they rounded a corner.  Louis squeezed his hand in excitement.

            “Ooh, do you smell that?” he said, letting his eyes flutter shut.  His eyelashes danced lightly on his cheeks.

            “What?  The food court?” Zayn laughed.  “Are you hungry, darling?”

            “Yeah,” Louis admitted.  He bounced slightly on his feet.  “Can we get something to eat?”

            “Lou,” he sighed.  “I already spent a load on clothes, and you know how expensive mall food is.  It’d be cheaper to just eat at home.”

            Louis knew he was right.  They were both pretty awful cooks, but they usually tried to eat at home if at all possible.  Normally they stuck with boxed macaroni and cheese or frozen pizzas, which were fairly easy and cheap.  Sometimes, on a good day, Zayn would cook some delicious Arabic food, but that was about the limit of their culinary abilities.