Chapter Sixteen

The next day I was woken up by a heavy knock on my door. I got up groggily and went to answer only to find an oddly refreshed looking Margore waiting. I rubbed my eyes and glanced at the time it was 5:30 in the morning, what was he doing here? He said a simple order and walked towards my back garden.

“Eat some breakfast, get dressed, text Jason and meet me out back.” He said. I did as I was told and walked out back to find him in a meditating position on the snowy ground. I stood awkwardly until eventually he opened his eyes. The next few hours were a blur of power practice and physical training. At some point Jase arrived and we stopped for lunch but it was only a brief time. The whole day was spent training and we were only finishing now.

Jase was walking towards the front door, muttering something about him have to be back at home before nine, and saying quick goodbyes before leaving, but I was too tired to care. I dropped down onto the couch and picked up my phone. It was already quarter to nine at night! I couldn’t believe the whole day had one bye.

Margore comes in from outside and shuts the door behind him.

“I am also having to go, I’m afraid. Get some food and get to bed, remember you have school tomorrow. Well done, you did well today.” He instructs as he too walks towards the front door to leave. I mumble a quick thanks and walk towards my kitchen to grab some food, after realizing that I’m starving. I devour a cold piece of toast before heading straight to bed. I only just hear the sound of my door closing before an exhausted sleep overcomes me.

***

The buzz of my alarm has never seemed as irritating as it did this morning. My head felt like it was going to explode. My body ached from training yesterday and I considered calling in sick and not going to school. However, my need for company overwhelmed my grogginess. I get out of bed and start my usual morning routine, whilst also packing my bag for school – since I forgot to do it last night. It takes quite a long time but I am confident that if I sprint instead of run, I can still get to school on time.

After stuffing some cereal in my mouth I rush to the door, grab my bag and start my sprint. The air whips at my face and clothes as I whizz through the dense forest. It’s like time slows down and I see the trees in advance so that I can avoid them. But it turns out that I don’t really need to avoid the small branches as when I bash into them they snap away without leaving a scratch. I can’t help but let a giddy smile appear on my face as the school grounds come into view. I slow my pace until I’m jogging as I come into view. I check my watch as I walk into the main building and see that it took just over a minute to get here and that I won’t be late to home room.

I open my locker and shove my unneeded stuff in and close it. I turn to walk towards homeroom, and nearly have a heart attack when I see someone standing directly in front of me. I let an audible sigh of relief when I see that it’s just Jase.

“Somebody’s jumpy this morning. I mean, I know your being hunted and everything, but you need to chill out a bit.” Jase jokes. I shoot a scowl in his direction and walk around him, towards homeroom. Jase waits a moment, spins around, runs to catch up to me and starts to laugh. I just continue walking and roll my dark eyes at him.

“No seriously though man, calm down. I’m just joking around.” Jase says after regaining his composure, “So what’s it like to be a kid with superpowers?” He asks with a smirk on his lips. I immediately shush him.

“Shut up! You are sworn to secrecy, or do you not remember the deal after I saved your life!”  I hiss. Jase just starts laughing again. I give up.

I walk into homeroom and sit in my usual seat, and Jase joins me a moment later – still laughing. I sigh and put my head in my hands. I hear Jase calm down but only when I feel him nudge my shoulder do I look up at him.