Chapter Eleven

I wake up to the sound of my alarm and all of my excitement from the day before drains out of me and I start to panic. How was this going to work? I was bound to be bombarded with questions, and, even though I lie about my life, this is a much bigger thing. What if I crack under the pressure? Will people even believe me?

I shake my head and tell myself to calm down. I have to act normal, like I’m not hiding anything, to get through today – and possibly the rest of my life.

I sigh and heave myself out of bed and start to get ready. Although I am nervous, with this new power I feel just a little bit safer. My nerves calm down after the mundane activities that result in being ready for school. Just before I leave through the door, I focus on an old football that is in the corner of the hall. I picture it floating up to my eye level, and it follows my instruction. I let a slightly sly smile spread onto my lips and I shut the door behind me – I hear a faint thump as the ball hits the floor. I walk out into the cool air, and I surprise myself by shivering. It seems like forever since I last felt the cold – maybe the fever really was part of this whole thing. I know I should be much older due to the snow covered lawn and trees, but even this slight thing of me being cold again reminds me that I’m still at least a bit human.

I start running through the forest, having already decided this morning that I would start running to school, so I could get there earlier. I had left later than usual this morning but still expected to make it to school fifteen minutes early. As I run, the wind whipping at my face, I can’t help but smile. I have never especially loved running but this felt different – maybe it was just the normality of it.

My mind wonders onto what the man had said. That I shouldn’t have this much control yet? That the others had only just started? That couldn’t be right. That’s when it hit me: Others.

There are others like me, but where are they. Maybe I would find out when I was ‘ready’. That was another thing that bugged my mind. When would I be ‘ready’? I close my eyes and, somehow, avoid running into any trees. When I open my eyes again I am on the school grounds, by the football field. How did I get here that fast? I look down at myself, I’m not sweaty like usual, nor am I breathing heavily. In fact, it feels like I haven’t run at all. I am shocked into silence. I grab my phone and check the time. It took me three minutes to run a distance that would usually take me twenty to run at a constant high speed. I stare dumfounded across the school campus. Could this be linked to the other power? I wonder mindlessly to the bench and sit down to wait for Jase.

***

Jason eventually arrived, we went to our locker, making light conversation, and then made our way to homeroom. I could feel peoples stare and hear the muttering as I passed. I tried my hardest to ignore them. But it bugged me that whilst Jase only seemed to hear a few, I could hear all the comments. I mentally added that to the list of ‘the unknown’. I sat through my lessons patiently, reciting my cover story whenever anyone asked. The teachers all ignored me, but that was usual, and it wasn’t until fourth period, with Mr H. that I got talked to – by at teacher – at all.

I walked in and found my seat and I was ignored until Mr H. lifted his head from a complex math problem or something, to do the register. He didn’t acknowledge me until my name was called and I replied. He looked up and saw me, a look of concern passed over his face, but he covered it up with a smile and said, “Glad to see that your back Seb.” Then he continued with his register. After he gave the class some work to do and came over to my table. I lifted my already completed worksheet up and handed it to him as he came over. He looked startled for a moment and then proceeded to mark he handed it back with’100%’ written on the top along with a smiley face.

“How did you know that? We only covered that yesterday.” he asked. I looked up at him.

“Um…I just did. It was easy.” I reply frowning slightly. I see Mr H. frowning himself but he quickly changes the subject.