Chapter Nine

Lunch came and I sat myself at the table outside, under a tree, with Jase and a couple of the other guys in our classes, Mike and Jake. I was yet to tell Jase of my biology experience and was considering keeping it to myself. I had to hold back my smile that a teacher had actually had an interest in me, and in my favourite subject too!

However, despite my excitement, I wasn’t hungry and ate only a few bites of my sandwich before chucking it away. I could feel a headache coming and my buzz from biology quickly fizzled out as my head hurt more and more. Jase was aware of the fact that I hadn’t eaten much and questioned me about it towards the end of lunch.

“Not hungry, fever thing I think.” Was my reply. And Jase looked slightly worried.

“Are you going to go to the nurse?” he asked. I shook my head in reply, increasing the throbbing pain. I had to hold back a wince. By the time the bell went I was starting to regret not going to the school nurse.

I walked into my fifth class of the day, trigonometry, to see that I had the only teacher in the school that ever put us in a seating plan, Miss Tarper. I nearly bolted when I saw who I was next to. Marcus. I sat down next to him and tried not to look him in the eye. Miss Tarper started the boring lesson and I could feel the pain in my head increase by the second. It slowly started spreading, so that it wasn’t just my head anymore. My whole body was starting to ache. That’s when my lesson got worse.

Marcus stuck his hand in the air and Miss Tarper immediately answered, she had always loved Marcus. “Miss, Seb is kicking me.” He lied. Miss Tarper scolded me and shook her head and continued her lesson. Marcus sent me a smug smile.

“Ow! Ow! Miss, he won’t stop!” Marcus said, and I could hear the amusement in his voice. Miss yelled at me again and I could feel myself getting angry. Then Marcus picked up his pen and scribbled across his book, and told Miss I had done it! I got angrier, and angrier. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Sally nudge Marcus and tell him off. I gave her a slight smile and my anger levels dropped. But, of course, Marcus saw it. He drew something on a random piece of paper and chucked it at Miss. She picked it up with a huff and opened it.

“Sebastian! Stop drawing such horrific things or I will send you to the Principle!” She yelled.

“B-but M-miss.” I stuttered, trying to defend myself.

“No, do your work!” she yelled. I saw Marcus snicker and then bend his head down to do his own work. Miss Tarper had turned back to the board and I felt my ache and anger sky rocket at the same time. I glowered at my desk. He is such a jerk! I thought to myself all the horrid things he did and my anger increased. My head ache was starting to hurt more and more and I felt myself shaking. That’s when I saw it.

Above my desk was my pencil. It was floating in mid-air! I couldn’t believe my eyes. I also noticed that my headache was getting worse rapidly. I looked around the room to see if anybody had noticed, but everyone, including Miss, had their heads down. I stared back at my pencil.

My headache spiked and I winced, losing my concentration on the pencil. The pencil dropped back to my desk and Miss looked up. That’s when I realized, I had made the pencil float!

As the realization hit me the pain in my body erupted and I stood up in a flash, nocking my chair backwards. I gripped my head and stumbled towards the door. Still gripping at my head I felt the pain in my body spike again and dizziness washed over me. I grabbed the door handle and rushed out into the empty hall. The pain was becoming unbearable. I rushed towards a classroom with no lights on, hoping it didn’t hold a class. I could hear Miss Tarper yelling a mixture of concerned questions toward me and my ‘wellbeing’ and orders at the class to stay seated. I opened the door and stumbled inside, only just managing to lock the door before collapsing on the floor in pain.