𝐗𝐕𝐈. hákłtis forever

Start from the beginning

     "I remember loving her deeply when I was a human; I was her only child," his voice was low, as it usually was, "but it's hard to miss someone from so long ago. She's just a memory now."

     I nodded, absentmindedly playing with my food as I decided what to say next.

     "Is Bella willing to do that to Renée? Leave her in the past?"

     He tensed up.

     "I suppose. She... she doesn't have the same attachment to human life as you do, I think,"

     I stopped chewing on the pineapple in my mouth at the mention of our mortalities, struggling to swallow as I knit my brows together.

     "What do you mean?"

     "I've heard you thinking about it - becoming one of us to be with Emmett. But, I know you don't want that," he spoke in a hushed voice, despite the fact no one was listening in, "you don't want to leave your brother behind. You want kids, to grow old. I just... I don't understand why she doesn't."

     He frowned, his hand on the table morphing into a fist. He appeared to be frustrated with himself like it was his fault that Bella was set on becoming a vampire. Setting my fork down, I shook my head.

     "Don't do that. Don't feel sorry for yourself, like this is your fault. Honestly, even if she weren't in love with you, I still think she'd want to turn," I explained, my gut telling me I was right.

      Bella had never been normal. From the moment I'd found out she wanted to leave her humanity behind, the idea felt right.

     "...Funny. Speaking to you, it reminds me of my talks with Esme."

     He gave me a little grin, and I felt compelled to reach my hand over the table to grab his wrist. I wanted him to listen to me.

"Bella loves you. You may feel the guilt now, but you won't when you're with her until the end of times," I spoke softly, ignoring the way his skin froze against my own.

     Edward nodded, gaze moving to his nearby mate. Letting go of his wrist, I pulled away and continued to eat the rest of my breakfast.

     Sometime later it was time to get going. All I thought about on the plane ride was seeing Emmett. It was borderline annoying how much I'd missed him. I chalked it up to the fact we hadn't spent much time apart, ever since I'd discovered his secret. It felt ridiculous, I'd never been a clingy person. I could go a week by myself in a room, alone. Now, I'd prefer it if Emmett were with me.

     We got back late. Daylin greeted us at the airport, to my delight. It felt good to see him - being with Bella and her mother had made me miss my own family.

     He took me home, and we talked about our weekend apart. Apparently, he was still neck-deep in work at the station. People were still going missing in Seattle, and the whole team was working double-time to try and help.

     I didn't stay up very late that night. I was tired from the flight, and sleep welcomed me with open arms. I assumed Edward must've told him how tired I was because Emmett didn't show up at my window that night.

      That didn't stop me from dreaming about him though. He stayed in those.

༻༺

     I struggled to get out of bed the next morning, dreading the fact that it was Monday. Even so, it was the last Monday of my high school experience.

      It felt surreal that it was all ending, but I still had no clue about my college plans. I'd never been crazy about school, and since Daylin chose the police academy over higher education, he left the decision up to me. I'd already gone through all my options, specifically the ones that kept me with Emmett. There weren't many, to my disappointment. I knew I could follow him and his family for as long as I chose, but was that the life I wanted to live?