Drive-in Disasters

Začať od začiatku

        With a sigh, Bridget stomps upstairs. I wait until she comes back down wearing ripped jeans instead. "Better, Dad?"

        "Much better," I say. "Okay, since Oba's at work I'll be giving the speech. Men are pigs; don't go anywhere with them, especially alone. Watch your drinks and watch out for creeps. Don't die, okay?"

        "Hey, at least then I'd get my own room," Bethany mutters. Bridget whacks her. "Have fun on your hot and steamy date, Braylen."

        They grab their coats and bags and begin walking out as I scoff. "You know, one day you're going to appreciate chivalry a-and...imagination! But no!"

        Robyn laughs hysterically, slapping her knee. "I think a drive-in date is cute and retro. Just like you."

        I glare at her. "You're patronizing me, aren't you?"

        She giggles and jumps up, pulling me into a quick hug. "I'm off to Daniel's. Just...don't be a dork, okay? This is your first real date since Mabel and it's with a college girl, nonetheless. This could be good for you, Braylen."

        I frown. "I feel like there were very subtle digs in that speech."

       "Love you!" Robyn exclaims, kissing my cheek and then bouncing out of the bedroom. I sigh and follow her out to the door. I nervously check my phone, waiting to see if Hayley has texted. She hasn't, but five minutes later the doorbell rings.

        I pull open the door after running a hand through my hair and checking my breath once more. Hayley grins up at me, her long hair pulled back into a long braid that cascades down her baby blue dress. "Hi!" she says, her pink lips pulling up into a grin.

        "Hey," I breathe. "Wow. You look stunning."

        "You too," she says, reaching forward and touching my sweater. "I had no idea you were so fashion-forward."

        I shrug, biting my bottom lip in an awful attempt to be sexy. "There are lots of things you don't know about me."

        Hayley seems to buy it. "Yeah?"

        "Yep," I say, leaning down and kissing her. She meets me halfway and presses her lips to mine, the taste of her strawberries and peppermint immediately filling my senses. She pulls away and gives me a little smirk. "I'm driving, right?" I ask.

        She nods, handing me the keys. "Sure, Mr. Mysterious. Are you sure you can't tell me where we're going?"

        "That'd ruin the surprise," I say, grabbing her hand and shutting the door behind me. I lock it and we head to her car. She thanks me as I pull the passenger door open for her and then we're on our way. "Just know," I say, pulling out of the driveway, "it's gonna knock your socks off."

        "I'm not wearing any but I appreciate the sentiment all the same."

        We both laugh. The car ride to the drive-in is filled with aimless chatter. Hayley was fun. She didn't talk about anything deep, just tells me about her many college escapades and her time at the Academy. She was easy to talk to, much easier than Sebastian.

        I frown. Why would that even matter?

        We make it to the drive-in and I grin. "Tada! Isn't she a beauty?"

        "Bray, I don't think anyone has been here in like seven years," Hayley says, giggling. We go up to the teller so I can pay for our tickets and then find a good spot to see the movie. "Actually," Hayley says, glancing over her shoulder. "I take that back. There are others here. Namely, that couple who look like they're both in need of oxygen tanks."