Author Spotlight: @BrianScottPauls

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what words wouldn't you use?

aggressive, boring, dumb

Think back to when you were in school. What was your favourite subject?

debate

When you were a young 'un, what did you want to be when you grew up?

an astronaut or a science fiction writer

What does Tevun-Krus mean to you?

An impressive achievement because it is still going strong after all these years.

Tell us about your reading/writing habits. If you're not a writer, then simply the former will suffice!

I read science fiction novels and magazines, science, theology, and now and then the Great Books

As your crew casts your lifeless body into the heart of the nearest star, list three pieces of music likely to be rattling the bulkheads of your beloved vessel!

Queen-"Princes of the Universe", U2-"Love Rescue Me", "Do You Hear the People Sing" from Les Mis

Who is your all-time favourite author? How much, if at all, has their work influenced your writing style?

Robert A. Heinlein: His writing style me that in world-building, less can be more, helping to curtail my tendency for excessive description.

Of everything you've written, which piece is your favourite?

My submission for the ScienceFiction December 2019 contest "The Secret of Tanecha sy Tyrin," although as the story came together I grew to prefer my working title, "Voices of Dominion."

Pitch the above story to us. Make us really want to read it!

The unexplained broadcast from a remote world was hauntingly beautiful, but stopped as abruptly as it had started. The House of Wisdom has traveled light years to find out why.

To what extent does the mythical 'real life' influence your writing?

Quite a bit. I started writing in earnest pretty late in life. There were a number of reasons for this, but a big one was that when I was younger, I felt I hadn't lived enough to have much to say.

If you could have any superpower, what would that be and why?

Teleportation; I hate commuting. ;)

What would you do if you woke up one day and suddenly realized you were an alien from another world?

Figure out how to get back there.

The Technological Singularity presents a rather daunting, some say inevitable, future. Does the prospect of that level of artificial intelligence excite you, or leave you quaking in your space boots? 

I think it's something that should concern us, but if our tools ever get out of control, we will have to give them the capability ourselves.

Who was your first Sci-Fi crush? Who is your current one?

The character Juliette Parish in the original "V" miniseries; any sf character played by Natalie Portman

If you could experience the world of any Sci-Fi story on Wattpad, which would that be and why?

The alien culture AnnWycoff depicts in "Gabby the Bug-Eyed Monster"

And finally, any words of wisdom to new and aspiring Sci-Fi writers? 

Write as well as you can, proofreading to correct spelling and grammar errors, and perfecting your your plot and narrative until the story "feels complete" to you. Odds are, others will like it too!