Chapter 4 - The Sorting Ceremony

Sydney's POV:

We each finished changing into our robes and packed up the leftover sweets that had come around with trolley. A voice echoed across the train instructing us to leave our trunks aboard the train and to disembark. The five of us left the compartment, slowly pushing through the crowd of students before getting onto the platform. Looking around at the platform and trying not to be jostled by the hundreds of students all getting off, I sighed in relief once I heard a familiar voice.

"Firs' years! Firs' years over here! All right there, Harry?"

Hagrid was standing at the far end of the platform with a lantern and beaming grin, beckoning to all of the younger students.

I grabbed hold of Daphne and Hermione and we pushed our way over to Hagrid, where a small clump of first-year students were slowly gathering. The other students seemed to be making their way to the end of the platform to waiting carriages.

"C'mon, follow me - any more firs' years?" Hagrid asked. "Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!"

Once we had all assembled, we followed Hagrid and his lantern down a long, steep, narrow path. "Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder. "Jus' round this bend here."

There was a collective gasp as we all saw the castle together. It was seven stories high, sitting upon a large hill. There were mountains and a large forest surrounding the area, and the lights of the castle twinkled in a welcoming manner.

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid instructed, pointing to a fleet of little boats sitting in the water by the shore.

I got into the nearest one with Daphne and Blaise, while Hermione got into the neighbouring one with Neville, only to be joined by Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, from Diagon Alley. A young girl with auburn hair jumped into our boat, introducing herself as Megan Jones.

Once everyone was settled in, the boats began to move across the lake as one. We glided across the lake, which was as smooth as glass. Everyone was silent, staring up at the great castle overhead. It towered above us as we sailed nearer and nearer to the cliff on which it stood.

"Heads down!" yelled Hagrid as the first boats reached the cliff; we all bent our heads and the little boats carried us through a curtain of ivy which hid a wide opening in the cliff face. We were carried along a dark tunnel, which seemed to be taking us right underneath the castle, until we reached an underground harbour, where we all clambered out onto the rocks and pebble.

"Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" said Hagrid, who was checking the boats as we climbed out of them.

"Trevor!" cried Neville blissfully, holding out his hands.

Hermione and I grinned at each other.

Together, we clambered up a passageway in the rock after Hagrid's lamp, coming out at last on to smooth, damp grass right in the shadow of the castle.

We walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around the huge, oak front door, looking around at each other in nervousness and excitement.

"Everyone here? You there, still got your toad?"

Hagrid raised a gigantic fist and knocked three times on the castle door.

The doors opened at once to reveal Professor McGonagall, and I smiled in relief at seeing the familiar face.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."