I close the door behind me as I am trying not to panic. I try to control my breathing as I comprehend everything that happened since morning: the gym, his bleeding hand, the gala.
This is all too much at once.
The image of Liam punching the bag and his scar near his eye runs through my mind.
My feet are too numb to move.
I am suddenly very aware that I have spent the last three years wondering how Liam must hate me, or how he is coping with everything that happened but I have no idea whatsoever about his life in these years. I am suddenly filled with a foreign feeling that repulses me because I know it's completely and utterly my fault.
I betrayed him.
As much determined I am in my mind to go back to normal, I realize I am still panicking about actually going with Liam today.
It's okay. Seth and Sharon will be there. It's not like I will be alone.

It turns out I will be alone with Liam after all because Seth and Sharon are both busy and I am back to my panic mode when I open the main door an hour later to find Mum back.
"How are you back so soon?" I ask her.
"It's a Friday. I only have one lecture today." She says coming in and she dumps her stuff on the sofa in the living room.

"So, tell me, what's wrong?" She asks me as I hand her a glass of water and sit down beside her.
"Wrong? What do you mean wrong?" I shrug my shoulders.

God! I suck at lying.
She just glares at me and I know there is no pointing in hiding anything from her.
"Well, you know, there's the gala on Sunday."
"Ahan..?" she signals me to go on.
"So I, erm, went to talk to Pops, erm, like you said and, erm, long story short now I am going with Liam to London to buy a dress for the gala. It's a welcome home present from Pops and Sharon and Seth are too busy to come. So, you know, it's just---"
"You and Liam and now you're freaking out," she completes my sentence.
She sighs as she looks at the worrisome expression on my face. She keeps the glass of water and moves closer to me with her expression softening.
"Look baby, I know you are scared and it's completely normal. This was not supposed to be easy but do you remember what you told me when you called me to tell me about getting into Oxford."
I sigh, calming down as I whisper in realization, "I am ready, Mum. It won't be easy but I want to come back to everything and everyone."
"Exactly. The situation with you and Liam is very sensitive. It's always been too complicated with the two of you. God knows why that is but I won't go into that now—" She says as she sees me make a face.
She continues, "The two of you have shared a lot of grief together. That kind of grief changes you. It can make the world purposely undesirable because it makes it easier for you to be aloof and detached. But you have also shared love and friendship and somewhere your heart knows that that kind of love is what we live for. It is asking you to let go and live again. You still trust him; you know what kind of a man he is, Sure, things have changed but they are always changing,  Kiera and it's important that you hold on to the important things. You need to stop hating yourself for loving him. You have suffered enough. Both of you."
When I don't speak for minutes, she says, "Take your time. Think about it. It's okay," she says as she gets up to go to her room leaving me to face the truth I have been hiding from myself all these years.

S o m e t i m e    a r o u n d    2  o' c l o c k