Prologue

A splash. A gunshot. I ran, my instincts taking over my body, my brain not rationalizing anything. The Oppressors were here, and that meant there would be no survivors. I fired back at them with my 22 Magnum, not looking back to see if I hit one of them.

"Jacob, Groundhog!" I heard Gwenyth shout. I nodded to myself. It would be risky, but what other choice did we have? I suddenly changed directions, surprising the Oppressors. But Jeremiah wouldn't just give up at the first sign of trouble or risk. He was sure to try to get the Piece, no matter the cost.

I ducked under a log, trying to lose them. I saw one run past my position, fortunately running past the rotting log. I sighed a breath of relief. Unfortunately, a sigh too loud.

"Spread out!" I heard Jeremiah shout. They're here somewhere, we just need to find out where." He continued pacing toward the log in which I was hiding. He hasn't spotted me yet, I thought. Then he spoke. "Hello, Jacob. I have been waiting for this moment for a long time." He drew his weapon from its holster, prepared to murder me right then and there.

"Gwenyth, Groundhog! Now!" I yelled over the intercom. I then pressed a button on the side of my arm, anticipating all of the things that could go wrong.

A rip in the universe, so painful that it feels like death. A flash, a bang, and then nothing. Jeremiah dropped his gun, blinking to make sure that he wasn't hallucinating.

I had disappeared.