Ch. 21 Knock. Always Knock.

*Lokela

A hug. She needed a hug.

When Ray flew into his arms, Lokela's heart nearly stopped at the same time as she nearly knocked him over. Ray didn't simply hug or smile or dance or say hi, she swept through life like an emotional hurricane, and he was caught up in her winds. Her arms were around him, and her chest pressed to his. There was no way she couldn't feel his heart trying to break free of his ribcage.

There was no choice of not hugging her back. His arms went around her shoulders and his hands were tangled in her long hair. It was silk and sunshine. He couldn't lie to himself anymore about how he felt or what she was doing to him. The only person he was lying to was her.

Fuck. Fuck, he could not breathe.

"Ray, there's something we should ta—"

Hugh's loud voice called out, "Yeah, see you later! Take care of the bum leg and shit. No, not shit. I mean, stuff. Sorry, Zach's mom!"

Lokela stepped free of Ray as Hugh sauntered out of Zach's room.

Last, Casey walked out in the hallway. "Have a safe trip home and take the time it takes to heal."

"Right," Trevor yelled, joining the others. "See you, man." He grinned at Lokela and Ray. "We ready to go, my people?"

"I have my bike," Ray repeated. She walked backwards, waving goodbye. A nurse came out of another room and almost collided with her. "Sorry! I'm so sorry!" The nurse shook her head in exasperation and continued on her way. "Bye, everybody!"

She turned to dart down the hall, flitting away. Lokela suddenly realized she was like an ocean wave you tried to catch, but would stream through your fingers. You could ride a wave like that, spend a few precious seconds with it as it moved beneath your feet, carrying you along, but it would never be yours.

His gut clenched as he felt the floor roll under his feet as though he was surfing. She would never be his, especially after he told her who wrote the poem and the letter for Zach.

Trevor clapped his back. "Let's get out of here, yeah?"

"Hey, wait," Zach's voice called. "Lokela."

Lokela motioned for the others to go ahead as Zach hobbled from his room. Behind his friend, his mother fumed, discontent. Lokela could sense her judgement of him and how much he failed in her eyes for putting her darling son in his current situation. He shook off the feeling. Zach's mother was nothing to him. The swung to shut her out of sight.

"What's up?" Lokela asked.

Zach stopped past the door frame, a strained expression on his face. He was pale and his eyebrows pinched in pain. "I think I screwed things up. With Ray, I mean. Shit, man, I love her so much. I want her to be mine, like really mine. I said I loved her in front of my mom and I was calling her my girlfriend. I think I freaked her out. Can you talk to her for me? Or, hey, what about one more letter? To make it up to her."

"Nope. I'm not your secretary. This is your thing, you make it or break it," Lokela said.

And if I find out you scared her into needed a hug, I'll break you.

"It's not like that. But could you just—"

"Zach, you are supposed to be resting in bed until the doctor discharges you," his mother barked.

Zach rolled his eyes, annoyed. "Listen, man. My parents are making me go back to California. I don't know if I'll even have a chance to talk to Ray and say goodbye. I really need a favor. I need her to be my girl when I come back next semester. Please? Will you talk to her?"