They all remained silent, each of their heads swirling with questions. This was too much to comprehend for children like them; they couldn't take it all in at once. But then again, who could?

It wasn't a good time to ponder, they needed a plan to keep themselves safe. How to hide their true identities and fit in, where to stay, catch up on the times and learn the ways of this new century.

Most importantly though, figure out how to get home.

They all knew Carmen was the help they needed. Although she had reluctantly come on board to help them, she still needed time to process the appearance of the three girls, and they were willing to give her time.

Carmen's face was expressionless, her arms hugged her knees as she rocked back and forth. After what seemed like an eternity, she slowly got up for her spot and made her way towards the frame. Before she left, she turned to the girls once more and contemplated what to say. Finally, she decided to go with the classic "I'll be back" and ran off. The girls stared at where Carmen was once stood, none of them knowing what to say.

They all silently agreed this would be a good time to get some rest finally. It was all they could do, for now, they couldn't even think of risking going out to get anything. The three of them drifted off, sleep taking over their weary bodies.

A few hours later, Mahnoor jolted awake, a loud moan disturbing her slumber. Her eyes flickered before she turned her head around to the source of the noise. In the middle of the room stood Carmen, who was now fully dressed and looking a lot calmer and more content than earlier. Mahnoor roused herself awake and sat up, her back aching from sleeping on the wooden floor. She watched Carmen haul over a large bag from the entrance of the treehouse, and it looked as if she were carrying a body inside. Slowly, she removed the contents from the black duff bag, which ranged from blankets to extra clothes to random snacks. Mahnoor scooched herself over and sat behind her as she finished removing the things. She sprawled herself on the floor quietly, exhausted from her journey back to the treehouse from her house.

Mahnoor glanced over at the weary girl, eternally grateful for the kindness she had shown them. Carmen turned her head over to Mahnoor as she was staring at the items in front of her with yearning. With a slight nod of Carmen's head, Mahnoor carefully grabbed things she desired: a Nature Valley bar, a packet of Lays chips and the only set of winter clothes while Carmen scooched to the side.

Mahnoor retreated to her corner and ripped open the granola bar, greedily grinding the food. She had been experiencing a gnawing hunger since that morning and although she knew the feeling of not being able to eat, the hunger she experienced was one she had never felt before. Content, for now, she put the packet of chips and the set of clothes to the side.

While Mahnoor experienced this, Carmen intensely stared at her with curiosity. It was indeed a strange situation these girls had gotten themselves into, and once she had also involved herself in. Since she was going to help them now, she may as well befriend them and get to know them a little more. Their first encounter had certainly been very eventful and unpleasant. If she were to help these girls, she wanted to be friends them at the very least. After all, it's not like you hear of people getting to know girls from the nineties that often.

Mahnoor had become more comfortable and relaxed, cosy in their corner. An awkward silence hung in the room, the two of them unsure on how to break the ice. They were quiet by nature and used to other people striking up a conversation.