“Mr. Penfield.”

“Who is he? I haven’t heard of him?”

“You have met him Eden.” Maggie provided. “The man on whom I spilled the jam today, remember? Mr. Robert Penfield.”

“But he is a guest. And you have just met him.” Eden couldn’t believe it. “Why did he kiss you?”

“When I took him to help him wash, he asked me to come into his room with him, for help. I had no idea, Eden, I succumbed.” Maggie paused and sighed deeply. “When he had pulled off his shirt, and for I couldn’t just look at him because he was so….so exposed, he stepped near to me and said...he said it was very becoming of a young lady like me to blush. I…I looked up at him surprised and he…Oh…he was so near Eden. I didn’t realize it until I was breathless but he was kissing me already. Passionately. He was holding me all over and was kissing me like…like…I don’t know.”

Eden swallowed as dread took her over.

“You didn’t protest?” she asked in a guarded voice.

“I couldn’t even keep my eyes open.” Maggie groaned. “ When I asked him ‘why?’, he said he liked me and that I was the most beautiful girl he had ever met.”

“And that was reasonable enough for him to kiss you like that?”  Eden deadpanned while she could practically see Maggie’s blush even in this dark room.

“I don’t know but..but it felt so right, Eden. It felt so very acceptable though I know it wasn’t. He even asked me to meet him again. Do you think I should?”

“Would you listen to me?” Eden wasted no time in asking that.

“Of course I will.” Maggie promised. “You are my best friend.”

“Then, no.” Eden mumbled. “Don’t go.”

She felt Maggie stiffen near her but then the girl relaxed and spoke, “I won’t go.”

“And Maggie?”

“Yes?”

“Be careful.” Eden murmured as Maggie snuggled into her.  “Be very careful.”

Suffice to say, that throughout that night, Eden couldn’t bargain a wink of sleep in her eyes for Maggie’s questions had left her wandering on the far past grounds.

It was never going to change, she realized. Men and their needs. Their excesses. Their eccentricities. Their monopoly over everything that pleased them.

It was never going to change, not till the world came down dead.

***

From the very next day, the degree of works to be done at Ashleyton simply heightened to an over-amplified degree as the pressure to achieve it also intensified.

There, afterall, were guests to entertain.

The breakfast had a menu. The lunch had another. And there was an entirely differing menu lessoned for dinner.

Everything had to shine. Everything must shine.

Lord Adelwood wanted his house clean. He wanted his floors shiny. He wanted the portraits of his ancestors dust free. And straight. Tea had to be on time.

Lord Adelwood and his guests were mostly outdoor all day long_ for hill trips and hunts_ and that, of course, was a plus point for Eden for that was the only time she could walk freely in the corridors and not along the shadows of the wall.

It was a week later, just another morning of bone breaking beginning and Eden had stepped out from the laundry room, with a heap of washed and dried out lace linen and curtains that had to be ironed now.