She ran her fingers over their faces fondly. Alice leaned over her shoulder to get a better look. "These your friends?" 

"Yeah...That's Jurney and Quin, his twin sister Benni, and K."

"Who's he?" She pointed to Val.

"...That's Val." 

Jasper froze up when he detected the softness she used when she spoke his name. It was the same softness she used when it was just them together. Curiosity got the best of him, he started peering forward too to get a better look at the human. His fists curled beneath his crossed biceps when Mirabelle's gaze lingered longer than he liked on the human boy's face. 

Wild thoughts of possessiveness started running through his head. It only worsened when he could feel an inkling of the emotions she held for the boy. 

"Did you date him?" The words came out sounding harsher than he meant them to. The logical part of his brain knew that he was being unfair. Whatever she had before she came to Washington was none of his business. She was free to love whoever she wanted. She was not his. 

But that was the problem. Jasper was a creature destined to live a long life. Decades of waiting - wondering when he would stop wandering - and now the answer was finally sitting right in his living room. It scared him to think that even a slight cold could take her away from him forever. She was his everything. He would love her no matter what. Being bonded was different from simply just being madly in love. 

For Jasper, all he thought about was her. 

But Mirabelle was still human. She'd promised that she would share in his torment of being an immortal, but things changed. The future was never set in stone. One day she might just roll over and decide that she wanted a family. At any point in time, she could start remembering all the good things she had when she was with someone...normal. 

Mirabelle stared at her stoic boyfriend strangely. His sister gave him a subtle look of disapproval. "I guess," she answered nonchalantly. "We were technically seeing each other for about a year before I decided I was going to be coming up here."

"Did you love him?" 

"I guess...Yeah, Jasper. I loved him. Is there something you want to say to me?" She slowly placed the picture back, waiting for him to answer her question. "Well? If you have something to say then just spit it out." 

"I'm just wondering. Seems like you still have feelings for him." 

"Are you seriously getting jealous over my past relationship?" 

"You seem to miss him a lot. If you didn't move here would you still be with him?"