Chapter 1: The Visitor

Sydney's POV:

My name is Sydney Dadzie-Granger. At a young age, I was adopted into the Granger family by Jean and Hugo, both of whom are dentists. I also have a sister, Hermione, who is a book-nerd and know-it-all (and I love her for it). I never knew my real parents - Jean always says that they died when I was very young.

Hermione and I never fit in very well at school, as Hermione can come off as very bossy. Not willing to abandon my sister to the clutches of bullies, we've mostly stuck together throughout the years and kept to ourselves. But all of that changed in the summer of 1991. I had turned eleven years old in February, while Hermione was due to turn twelve in September. 

The morning started off normal enough. I had breakfast with my parents and family, before we all went into the living room to watch TV together. Hermione was in the corner reading a book, and I was cuddling with our family dog, Oscar. 

There was a knock on the door, and I jumped up to get it, my dad behind me.

As I opened the door, I saw the most extraordinary woman standing before me: she was tall and stern-looking with black hair drawn tightly into a bun. She was also wearing an emerald green cloak, even though it was quite hot outside.

"Good morning," she greeted us pleasantly. "My name is Professor Minerva McGonagall. Do you mind if I come in?"

Though dad looked slightly hesitant and wary, he agreed, opening the door further and beckoning her in. 

Minerva McGonagall followed us to the living room, and my mother immediately paled upon seeing her.

"Is it that time already?" mum asked, to Professor McGonagall's short nod.

Professor McGonagall seated herself on a stiff armchair nearby, while I joined Hermione on the sofa. She had finally put her book down.

"I am here today," began Professor McGonagall, "because both Sydney and Hermione are of the age to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I have your letters here."

She reached into her cloak and pulled out two envelopes, passing one each to Hermione and I.

"We knew you would be coming for Sydney," interjected my dad, "but what do you mean, Hermione as well?"

"Both of your daughters have magic," McGonagall responded. "Both of them are eligible to attend Hogwarts."

I looked at the letter in my hand, confused.

"Why did you expect that Sydney would be contacted, but not Hermione?" McGonagall questioned, turning to my parents.

"Sydney is adopted, and her mother was magical," responded my mum quickly. "We figured Sydney would inherit that. But neither my husband nor I are magical, so we assumed Hermione wouldn't get it."

"Muggle-born students are actually fairly common," McGonagall assured them, giving Hermione a small smile. "It can be a bit of a shock, but it's not impossible."

I looked down at the letter, reeling from the knowledge that my mother had been a witch.

To: Ms. Sydney Granger

The Second-Largest Bedroom

1301 Adelaide Grove, London

Dear Ms Granger,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,