Chapter 16: Tying Loose Ends

Goodbyes are never easy. We all knew that as we watched the hologram that projected from Tony's Iron Man helmet. And yet we had all hoped it wouldn't be this hard.

Steve had his arm around my waist as we watched. "This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow," the hologram of Tony said, "It's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing: Then again, that's the hero gig, right? Part of the journey is the end." He scoffed and stood from the hologram chair he had been sitting in. "What am I even tripping for? Everything is gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to." He stood in front of the helmet to turn off the recorder and looked up so he made direct eye contact with his daughter. "I love you three thousand."

My breath hitched as I closed my eyes and tried to control the rising lump in my throat. Unconsciously, my bandaged hand moved to rest on my stomach where a small bump was beginning to form. Tony had left behind a lot of things he loved and a lot of people who loved him in return. We all owed him something.

Pepper stood to lead the procession down the steps of the building. We followed quietly and watched as she walked to the edge of the fishing dock and placed in the water a bouquet that held his old arc reactor. I honestly didn't think Stark had a heart when I first met him, but he certainly grew a big one by the time it stopped beating.

When Steve lowered his head, I put my arm around his torso and leaned my head against his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around me as his eyes closed and silent tears rolled down his cheeks. An unspoken understanding passed between us that we'd work through this together like every other battle we'd faced.

"Pepper," I said as Steve and I were getting ready to leave the funeral, "if you need anything at all, please don't hesitate to call us."

She nodded with a smile, "Thank you, that means a lot." Morgan waved goodbye as Steve and I got into the car and pulled out of the driveway.

Our ultimate destination was Sam's apartment in Brooklyn, but there was still unfinished business left at the ruins of the old Avengers' facility. There, Bruce had set up another quantum tunnel. We'd agreed that it would be the last capacitor we built. As soon as Cap returned the stones, it would be dismantled and never re-assembled.

Bruce opened the suitcase to reveal the stones and spoke to Cap, "Remember: You have to return the stones to the exact moment you got 'em or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

"Don't worry, Bruce," Steve closed and latched the case. "Clip all the branches."

"You know, I tried," Banner suddenly said. His eyes drifted downward as we looked at him. "When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back . . . I miss her, man."

I laid my hand on his arm. "We do too."

He looked down at me with a small smile and a nod. Adjusting to life without Natasha was going to be difficult since he had finally lost her for real this time. The separation between them was now something he couldn't cross.

As Steve walked toward the capacitor, Sam offered, "You know, if you want, I could come with you."

Cap smiled, "You're a good man, Sam. This one's on me, though."

I leaned over the computers and double-checked the code like I always did as Cap and Bucky talked. As I typed and scanned the screen for problems, I tried to ignore the possibility of something going wrong. This was the last mission Cap would take and he had to return as planned. If he didn't, everything would feel like a waste after making it this far.

"Hey," Bruce laid a hand on my shoulder, "the code's fine. Don't worry."

I sighed and stepped away from the computer. "You're right," I said aloud to reassure myself. "You're right, I just . . ." As I looked up, Steve was watching me from the bottom of the capacitor's stairs.

He set down the suitcase and stepped forward to meet me as I walked into his arms. Once again, I was wrapped tightly in his embrace; one of the few places where I truly felt at rest. "It's gonna be okay, Amber," he whispered in my ear.

I closed my eyes and tried to etch everything I could about that moment in my memory just in case I would need it later. He didn't have to remind me that if anything happened, Bucky would take his place as provider and protector. Didn't have to try and reassure me of his return. We both knew the dangers he was about to face and chose not to waste time forming promises we couldn't fulfill.

"If we have a girl," Steve rested his chin on the crown of my head, "What do you think of Natalia Rogers?"

Of course, I loved it. "That sounds great," I whispered as I looked up into those familiar blue eyes.

His hand cupped my cheek as he leaned down to touch his forehead to mine. "I love you," he smiled sweetly.

Tears brimmed in my eyes as I kissed him in reply. "I love you too," I touched his face before stepping away from him. "Now, go be a hero."

Cap nodded and picked up the suitcase again before walking up the steps and onto the platform. He tapped his time-space GPS watch to activate his suit as the machine groaned when it powered up.

"How long is this going to take?" Sam asked.

Banner replied, "For him, as long as he needs. For us, five seconds." He looked at Steve and prepared the grid. "You ready, Cap?" With a nod, Steve indicated he was good to go. "Alright, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet."

Bucky and Sam both came to stand on either side of me, silently offering encouragement.

"Going quantum. Three, two, one." When Bruce flipped the switch, Cap disappeared from the platform. "And returning in five, four, three, two, one."

Nothing happened. The platform was empty.

Panic set in as I ran to the grid. "Everything was set!" I yelled in frustration. "It shouldn't be malfunctioning."

"It's not," Bruce concluded after assessing the situation.

"What do you mean it's not malfunctioning?" Sam asked. "Where is he?"

"I don't know."

I wasn't going to give up. Not without a fight. "There has to be something we can do," I glanced at the tracker Bruce was looking at and then frantically began rewiring the grid.

Banner shook his head, "He flew right past his time stamp."

"If we reverse the pull," I quickly covered the wires and returned to the grid to readjust the switches, "It should redirect him back here."

"That principle is completely theoretical!" Bruce argued. "We're not sure if it will work."

"All proven principles were once theory," I finished and looked up between Bucky, Sam, and Bruce. "Do I have your support?"

Sam nodded. "Do it."

We'd already wasted too much time, but I desperately hoped for success against my rising doubts as I flipped the switch. The capacitor rumbled and shook violently as it tried to pull Cap back to us. We waited in breathless anticipation.

And then he appeared. He was slightly winded but broke out in a large grin when he saw us again. "Mission accomplished," he showed us the open case that once held the stones.

The boys looked at each other and laughed, the previous terror forgotten as their friend returned to them. Me? I was just glad to have him back.