Chapter 11: The Time Heist

As the sun rose the next day, we each donned a new suit specifically designed for time travel and stepped onto the platform of the capacitor.

"Five years ago, we lost," Steve said as he began one of his signature motivational speeches. "All of us. We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves. Today, we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams. You know your missions. Get the stones. Get them back. One round-trip each. No mistakes, no do-overs." He looked around the group, speaking to each member individually and as a team. "Most of us are going somewhere we know. That doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other."

Then came the memorable conclusion, the hook of every good speech that everyone remembers. "This is the fight of our lives . . . and we're gonna win." He locked eyes with Tony and said, "Whatever it takes." Then to the whole group, "Good luck."

Everyone spread out around the platform as Bruce worked on the computers to get the grid set up. Steve silently took my hand while we waited. I looked at him, but he was staring off into space, lost in thought. "You good?" I asked while squeezing his hand.

He turned and looked at me with a small smile. "Yeah," he replied. "We're gonna be okay." He was trying to be brave, but I instantly read past the confidence he feigned.

"We're gonna be okay," I confirmed while scanning his eyes for any other concerns he may be carrying alone. I was grateful to find them clear. For the time being, he seemed reassured enough to undo his normally furrowed brow.

With a final squeeze of my hand, he let go and stepped away as we prepared to enter the quantum realm.

"See ya in a minute," Natasha said to me with a smile.

"Or less," I winked. "Last one back has to clean out the fridge."

She cringed in disgust, but failed to suppress a laugh, "Deal."

The metal plates above us activated and rotated as the platform began to vibrate. I turned my helmet on a few seconds before we all shrunk and were pulled into the quantum realm.

When I returned to my original height, my gaze was drawn upward toward the tall skyscrapers of New York. The city looked a lot different in 2012 than it did in our 2023. Granted, it was currently under attack so its condition didn't look fantastic, but at least the population was there.

"All right, we all have our assignments," Steve turned off his time travel suit so he was wearing his old Captain America uniform. "Two stones uptown, one stone downtown." He stepped out into the street to survey the situation. "Stay low. Keep an eye on the clock."

Suddenly, the 2012 Hulk jumped into the street in front of us. He lifted a car and smashed it down on an alien with an angry roar. At the sight, our Banner shamefully covered his eyes.

The Hulk continued down the street to fight more enemies and thankfully hadn't noticed us. "Maybe smash a few things along the way," Steve suggested to Bruce. We couldn't risk being recognized because we acted differently than our 2012-selves. Too many complications would arise.

While Banner tried to remember what it was like to be completely the Hulk, I looked down at my suit. It was my old purple super suit that had limit tech compared to the newer one Tony had designed for me in 2016. Both had been in the closet for so long, I realized I wasn't sure of my fighting abilities anymore. After all, it had been years since I'd been in a real fight.

I lifted my hand and created a small forcefield.

"Woah," Scott said in awe. "I forgot you could do that."

I smiled and laughed, "Me too."

"Yeah, yeah," Tony said as his Iron man suit appeared from his nanotech clothing. "We get it, you're cool. Clock's ticking. Let's go get that Infinity Stone."