Huckleberry Hound

Later that afternoon, April

London

An unknown number came up on his phone, which he could barely make out through his screen. The screen had been smashed for well over four months and there was little hope that he was ever going to get around to fixing it. He deliberated not answering, fully expecting Neil from Lancaster to ask him how he was feeling today and then tell him about an accident he had never had, before offering him extraordinary compensation opportunities. When he did answer, in a strange way it was a relief that it wasn't Neil on the end of the line but a Dr Williamson. Hugo's first fear was that something had happened to mother, but she was in the South of France so that wouldn't explain the English accent of the doctor. The more obvious solution was then that it was about his father. He awaited the doctor's next line, suddenly overcome with nausea. He hoped to God the poor old sod hadn't been found in his garden again. It had been at least 3 weeks since he had checked in with him, despite promising himself he would do it on a weekly basis when he saw him last month.

'Mr Hetherington, your father has had a fall and was brought into A and E here at Guy's – he's fine but needs a family member to pick him up and take him home. You were the only number he had in his phone which is why we're contacting you. Are you able to come and collect him, I don't think he's able to get home on his own?' the doctor asked.

He had no idea why his father was in South London, he rarely left Norfolk. At least it was a relief that the call hadn't been worse news. He told the doctor he could be there in about an hour, doing his best to hide his frustration about the fact he would have to cancel the date he had organised for the evening. It was particularly inconvenient as opportunities to tie down a pen pal with benefits before deploying to Afghanistan later in the year were passing by the week and this particular option had sent some extremely encouraging text messages about what she had planned if the date was a success.

He arrived at the hospital car park. Once he got over the mild rage at the fact that he had to pay for parking he allowed himself to laugh at the irony of the amount of people standing outside the hospital entrance in pyjamas, a hoodie and knock off Ugg Boots; intravenous drip stand in one hand, cigarette in the other. Sucking the remaining life out of their Benson and Hedges, desperately trying to get as much nicotine into their body as if it may be their last hit, staring into the distance wondering when they're going to get better. A beautiful yet harrowing paradox.

Entering the hospital came with the universal shudder that those who rarely have to visit them get as they are reminded of their own mortality. He found his way to the A and E waiting room and settling into a green plastic seat having informed the lady on the reception that he was there to collect his father.

The fluorescent strip lights glowed from above, exhausted nurses and doctors bounded around with purpose, clipboards in hand, and frustrated patients waited in hope that their names would soon be called. A woman in her early thirties was wheeled into the waiting room by a friend. She had both legs in casts but was giggling incessantly. They parked next to him. Eventually when they had calmed down, he couldn't help but ask what had happened. They explained that it was the injured woman's wedding next week. She had been Irish dancing on a table the previous day on her hen do and had broken both legs when the table collapsed. They had no idea how she was going to get into her dress or be transported down the aisle but thankfully saw the funny side. Whether they would when they sobered up would be a different question. He joined them in laughter, until they were called off for further checks.

He waited for a long forty five minutes, watching the conveyor belt of people far less fortunate than him come in and out with an array of ailments, injuries and traumas. Eventually, the twin swinging doors, which people had been watching intently for their moment, were eased open and a very pretty young doctor appeared. He momentarily forgot why he was in the room full of miserable strangers as his eyes locked onto the her. So consumed was he that it was five seconds until he realised that she was shouting his name.