NEVER BOW DOWN

I was simmering with rage. In just two weeks Ryne had managed to annoy me beyond measure. First, he gave me a severe punishment out of bias. Then, forbade Kiera from using her powers on me which made the mark hurt even more. He left me in that dungeon with the vampire when he knew that I was weak and vulnerable. As if that weren't enough, he openly rejected me in the cafeteria. It was only a matter of time before the news spread to the whole school that Prince Arlan's fiancé wasn't welcome in his friend circle. Like being a warlock wasn't enough, he also had to be annoying.

"Meredith! Wait up!" J-Vil yelled. I took deep breaths before slowing down so she could catch up.

"Back there," she said breathing heavily, "You were so-"

"Cool?" I asked with a smirk. I was proud of myself for calling out Ryne's bullshit too.

"Stupid! I told you to never mess with the higher echelons, especially de. Where does your confidence come from?"

I shrugged, "So, did you get over the Your Highness phase?" Just a few minutes back she was so awkward around me.

She seemed to suddenly remember who I was.

"Of course not, Your Highness," she muttered sheepishly.

I chuckled, "I was kidding, don't ever call me that please."

She nodded, "Prince Arlan wanted to follow you but-"

"I don't care about that. You came, that's enough," I said.

"Of course, what are friends for?" J-Vil replied as her cheeks pulled up in a wide smile.

I raised my brow. She lost the smile and said with a nod, "Keelin kept glaring at me like she wanted to rip me apart."

"That's what I thought," I said scoffing, "You wouldn't sacrifice lunch for friendship."

"Glad you know me so well," she replied bumping my shoulder with hers.

I smiled before biting my lips with a sigh. Although I had said that I didn't care...

"I... why did Arlan not come again?" I asked her.

Arlan had been my best friend since I was three years old. We were the same age but, he had always taken care of me. The only memories I had of my childhood were training in my mother's study and playing around with him. I was burdened with responsibilities as soon as I was old enough to talk. My mother would not allow me to do anything other than study and train to be a queen. However, she did not mind me spending time with him as we were betrothed. He was my only reprieve and I would eagerly wait for him to visit me.

When I left home with my teacher, I thought I would not see him again unless I failed my quest. But, three years ago, we followed a trail to the ancient Iodoro Forest. Coincidentally, we happened upon Arlan who was with his father for a diplomatic meeting there. I met him for mere moments so I refuse to call it love. But I felt something for the boy I had spent my childhood with. However, with that feeling came the knowledge that I was running out of time. I was nearing the age of marriage.

"Prince Arlan stood up to follow you, but then Gyrod held him back," J-Vil said bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Gyrod? The white-haired fae?" I asked before remembering how he had inserted himself between Arlan and Yuvien before almost possessively. I also remembered that he was seated right next to Arlan.

"Yes, him. So many girls chase him around but he is not interested in the least. Most fae are like that, so it's not a big deal. However, he is very close to Prince Arlan. They're all really close to each other. After all, they've been friends since childhood."