32 It's Hard Letting Go of the Afterglow

Start from the beginning

"That's the thing though, isn't it?" Marisol ran her sharp nails over the smooth surface of the counter. "It's getting to be a bit much. We're jumping from one feud to the next, and now there are two going on at the same time. Maybe it's time the sensible people tried to sort it out, you know? What do you think?"

Bobby stopped chopping the chocolate chips. "No one has ever accused me of being sensible. I'm quite offended." Marisol rolled her eyes and he smiled. "I'm kidding. I'm capable of being extremely serious. When it suits me." Lili's lips pinched and he realized that was precisely the wrong thing to joke about.

"I asked you because underneath the jokes I know you really do care about people and you want the best for everyone." Marisol shook her long golden-brown hair. "Same goes for you Lili."

"I do care," Lili said. "But honestly I'm tired of sorting everyone out. I'm just...tired." She stared at the counter, and despite his anger Bobby's whole body ached to hug her.

And maybe he could. The villa was making everyone nutty, but he and Lili were both reasonable people. Lowering the stress level for everyone could help them get back on track. And more importantly, they could work as a team and then she'd remember how good they could be together.

"This is short term pain for long term comfort," Marisol said. "The quicker we sort everyone, the quicker we go back to laughs and unlimited coffee."

"That's a very specific figure of speech," Bobby said. "But I don't drink coffee."

Marisol rolled her eyes. "Anyway, there are two different things going on right now. Whatever that was between Lottie, Chelsea and Priya, and this Noah business between Hope and Priya. I think the Nope stuff is on the backburner. Unless any obvious opportunities arise, we tackle stuff with Lottie first, agreed? That's our strategic priority."

"Yes sir," Bobby said, giving her a salute. Yes. This could work.

"Lili, will you try and get Lottie and Chelsea talking? And Priya and Lottie too. That would be great."

Lili's brow furrowed. "Why does this sound like I'm doing all the work?"

"You're not. I'll try and talk to Priya and Hope separately, and Bobby can talk to Lottie, too, and maybe Noah. Assuming that sounds good to you, Bobby."

"Not sure I trust Lottie in enclosed spaces, but sure, that sounds good to me. Though Noah...he's not happy with me right now..."

Lili's mouth tightened. "I'll talk to him."

The bitter taste of shame flooded his mouth and he resented it. "No. I'll do it," he said, his tone a little sharp. "We need to work it out anyhow." Lili shrugged and stared at the counter.

"With a joint effort, we should be able to get everyone back on the same page," Marisol said. She glanced between them. "You two are okay, right?"

"We're fine," Lili said with a tight smile.

He nodded and started the frother, drowning out his inability to answer the question.

Once the hot chocolate was frothy, he poured three mugs, topping them with cream, marshmallows, and sprinkles. "Voila! Chocolat chaud a la Bobby."

"Oh," Marisol said, wrinkling her nose. "I'm...not actually a fan of hot chocolate."

Lili gasped and dramatically pulled her mug close, as if she feared Marisol might chuck it into the bin. She looked at Bobby with giant horrified eyes and he couldn't help but to chuckle.

"Now you tell me! Who doesn't like hot chocolate?! You gonna cancel my birthday, too?" He winked at Marisol and slid into a seat at the bar beside Lili, and took a sip of hot chocolate, intentionally burying his lip in the whipped cream.