Because she needed him

Start from the beginning

"Well at least there is good food." Said Dottie picking up a crab cake. Ophelia did the same and they cheersed to crab cakes in all their deliciousness.

"What about you, Dot, which one of these lads strike your fancy?" Asked Ophelia, scanning the room.

"I don't know, Lestrange was a piece of shit and I couldn't get over that thing with the billy goat, so I guess I'm playing the field." Said Dottie.

"Dottie!" Ophelia exclaimed, "anyone I should no about?"

"Well, McKenna, he is one of your friends isn't he?" She asked.

"Yes, you know I've never thought about him romantically, but I have always wondered, is he a good snog?" She asked pensively.

"Good endurance, excellent hand placement but he tastes like treacle tarts and that's all I could think of the entire time." Said Dottie, very matter of factly.

"Better than Lestrange the Billy goat." Said Ophelia.

"Yeah let's keep that title for my ex boyfriend." Said Dottie, taking a glass of champagne from the tray,

"In fifty years the only bit we will remember is the bit about the Billy goat. In fact I'm going to tell my children that their Auntie Dottie dated a Billy goat." She said, and Dottie hit her arm.

"I'll just tell mine that their Aunt Lia lost it half dressed on the back of a boat." Said Dottie and Ophelia glared at her.

"I told you that in confidence!" She whisper yelled.

"And I am confident my children will love the anecdote, what was his name again? Billy, Benny, John, "

"James." Said Ophelia, "his name is James, and right now I'm worried he'll get drafted so don't bring him up. We are still friends."

"Does he know about your thing for Nott?" Asked Dottie.

"No."

"Just friends my ass." Said Dottie. Ophelia frowned,

"I'll tell your mum about you dating McKenna, a Gryffindor."

"I'll tell yours about the muggle."

"So were agreed then? Mutually assured destruction." Said Ophelia and the two girls shook hands as though making a business deal.

"Oh, cripes here comes Lestrange, cover for me." Said Dottie who left quickly through the small crowd of the party.

"Hello, Lestrange, how are you? Have you tried the crab cakes?" asked Ophelia, as he tried to get around her to Dottie.

"Where did Dottie go?" He asked, still trying to get around the blonde girl who refused to let him get to her cousin.

"Lady troubles, you understand." Said Ophelia, he looked down at her confused. "Riding the red wave, crimson river is flowing," he still looked perplexed, "for Helgas sake, it's her time of the month."

"Oh." Said Rabastan looming down at the ground as though uncomfortable.

"I could explain it all to you, Lestrange, the red enemy is not so scary once you get to know it." She said and he grew more uncomfortable.

"I'm just going to get a drink." He said, scratching the back of his neck, and walking away awkwardly.

She smiled and looked for Primrose who hadn't arrived yet. She sighed and went to look for the track with the oysters when a cold voice cut through her pursuit.

"Is that how you scare all the boys away, Marigold?" Asked Tom, standing beside her, his hands clasped behind his back.

"Is that how boys are all easily scared?" She retorted. "How long have you been standing behind me?"