prologue

Valentine and Jocelyn Morgenstern welcomed two babies on April 4th, 1997.

Jocelyn smiled as she held her baby girl, her husband holding his baby boy, Valentine looked lovingly at Jocelyn and announced "His name is Jonathan Christopher. And she will be called Seraphina Antheia. Do you agree?"

Jocelyn smiled "I do. They are beautiful names." she agreed.

Seraphina opened her eyes and looked at the woman that was holding her.

The woman was a beautiful red head with lovely green eyes. She looked at the woman's hair, fascinated with the colour, and moved her little hand to run her fingers through the hair.

The woman smiled at her and the man laughed. As soon as Seraphina heard the laughter she looked up.

The man was smiling at her and holding another baby in his arms. She threw her hand up, motioning for the man to take her.

The man said "Hello Seraphina, my daughter, say hello to your brother, Jonathan. He will protect you, and you in turn will protect him." and smiled.

Jocelyn and Valentine switched with the babies. Jocelyn now holding Jonathan, while Valentine was holding Seraphina.

Jonathan chose that moment to open his eyes and Jocelyn screamed, seeing his black pupils and irises.

One year later, Seraphina remembered her old life. She remembered that she died in the car crash when she was 17 and driving back home from the party.

She remembered being a huge fan of The Mortal Instruments. And it seems that she was reborn as Jonathan's twin sister.

Jonathan and her sleep in the same crib. She loves her brother, she truly does. His eyes don't scare her. Her mother always tries to separate them, but her father always puts her next to Jonathan.

She also loves her dad. It doesn't matter to her that he is somewhat evil. He is her dad. She is only sad that she will leave him soon. She heard from her mother that she has her eyes and that she will take her when she leaves.

That day came soon. Her mother took her from her crib and told her "You are going to be with my friend Tessa until I come and get you. Alright?"

She nodded her head "Momma, are we going to leave daddy and Jona? And what about Alec, I don't wanna leave my friend, ma" she asked.

That's right, she forgot to mention that Alec Lightwood and her were best friends.

Alec proclaimed that she is his wife. That day was her favorite. Maryse and momma were laughing so hard, while daddy's face was bloated of rage.

She went to her daddy to calm him down "Daddy, I will never leave you. I love you, you are my favorite." she had said.

Then her brother came running up to her, hugging her and said "Don't leave me Sephy. I love you." and she hugged her brother, as he kissed her on her head and said "Never, Jona. I love you, too." and her daddy smiled so much that day.

Then when they went to sleep, her daddy said that she should never change, to make him proud and to be strong.

"I don't want to leave Jona, and daddy loves me." Seraphina added.

Jocelyn kissed her head and told her "Oh honey, I know. And they love you, too. But we have to."

"Why momma, is it because of 'Rissa?" she asked, confused.

"Who is Rissa, honey?" asked Jocelyn. Seraphina smiled at her mom and put her hand on her mother's stomach. "momma, Rissa is the baby. I know it's a girl." she said proudly.

Her mother looked at her, flabbergasted that she would know that and smiled "No honey, it's for your protection." she answered.

Seraphina nodded her head, her blonde hair flying in the air, and pouted. "But what about Jona's protection?" she asked her mother, but Jocelyn only ignored her and opened the door only to be met with the woman outside.

"Tessa, thank you so much for doing this. I will come and get her as soon as I can." she said, giving her Seraphina.

"Oh it is nothing. I love children." Tessa answered, smiling at Seraphina.

A few hours later, Jocelyn knocked on the door of Tessa's manor. Tessa opened the door and asked "Jocelyn, what happened?" worriedly, as she saw the state Jocelyn was in.

"Valentine and Jonathan are dead, Tessa. The house was burned to the ground. My parents are dead." she answered, tears falling from her eyes.

"Oh come in, come in, dear. Let's make you some tea. Seraphina is in my room sleeping." said Tessa.

"I plan to leave Idris and the shadow world all together with Seraphina tomorrow morning, before dawn." said Jocelyn, once she calmed down.

"Where will you go? If you want, I can give you my apartment in New York. I don't use it at all. It's in Brooklyn. You have the institute there and the warlock, Magnus Bane, if something happens." offered Tessa.

"Thank you, that is very kind of you. I have to accept it, I am not alone now. I have Seraphina to think about, and now another one is on the way." she accepted.

The next morning, just before dawn, Jocelyn took her daughter from the bed, Seraphina's forehead was creasing and she was groaning, upset at being moved from the comfortable bed.

She took their bags from the living room and nodded at Tessa. Tessa opened up a portal and as she did, Jocelyn hugged her. Tessa mouthed "good luck." to Jocelyn and kissed little Sephy on her head.

Jocelyn thanked her again, and stepped into the portal, suddenly feeling brave, and having the strenght to start a new life in New York with her daughter, and another one to come.