Proud

One night I asked Charles to teach me cards again, and I felt it coming easier and easier to me.

"Good job, Mary." I felt my heart swell at the praise. I loved seeing him smile, I loved seeing him happy. I let him win, wanting to make him smile again.

When he was done we went upstairs and got into bed. He was stroking my arm when he said, "I want to try again, for a baby, but I'm scared."

I looked at him, "You don't need to be. I'm sorry I had a girl."

He looked at me, "Next time we'll have a boy."

"You're right." I kissed him softly. He smiled against my lips and slowly got on top of me, taking off my shirt.

~

Charles began to get impatient. We were back to having sex as a chore. He made us do it every night, and it hurt. He'd take longer to finish and the boredom on his face made me feel bad about myself.

But, each morning I made him breakfast. I cleaned the house, and made him dinner, imagining our life with a baby.

One day, Charles said at dinner, "I'm going into town again. I'm selling our crops and maybe I can buy a dresser for the room up there."

I looked at him, "Okay, that sounds nice."

"I'll need your help carrying it inside. It's not normally a woman's job, but my dad isn't here, and neither is Noah." He said. His underlying tone showed me he was afraid I'd run. And the thought crossed my mind.

"Of course I'll help." I smiled. I finished my dinner and put the plate in the sink, sitting back down to wait for Charles to finish.

"I'm going tomorrow. You'll be a good girl while I'm gone?" He asked.

I nodded. He smiled at me and touched my arm. I could tell he was still worried. When I finished washing the dishes, I joined Charles on the couch. It was still a little chilly, as Charles told me it was now March. In about three months I would've been here for about two years. I would have been with my husband for two years, and I found myself smiling.

"What are you smiling about?" Charles asked me.

"In a little while it will be our two year anniversary." I smiled again, pulling the sleeves on the hoodie I was wearing over my hands.

He smiled at me, putting his arm around me and kissing my temple, "Yes it will be. Are you happy with me?"

I turned to him, "Of course Charlie. Your family took me away from something so horrible, and now I'm safe."

"You've really adjusted well. Even when that baby came you stayed calm. I understand some things are still scary, but you haven't had a slip up in a long time. I'm proud of you." He said, running his hands along my side.

I giggled, "Thank you, Charlie."

He hugged me and kissed me, running his hands along me and making love to me. It was blissful and amazing.

~

Charles left early that morning, not even getting breakfast. I ate alone and went upstairs to clean that bedroom. I took off the sheets and washed them in the sink, like I did with all our clothes, and put them away. For now it was a bare mattress on a frame. I vacuumed the floors and went and cleaned the other empty room with it, and tidied up Charles and I's room.

I made dinner and waited to hear the car. When I did I stood obidently by the couch. He walked in and I could tell he was worried.

"Okay, come help me."

I nodded. I already had on my shoes and when I stepped outside I noticed how chilly it was. It smelled nice and I realized how much I missed the outdoors. I went over to the bed of the truck and stood there waiting instruction.

Once we got it upstairs and inside I fell onto that mattress really tired. Charles smiled at me, "You're wonderful Marilyn! I'm so happy."

It was because I stayed near him. I didn't run.

I didn't want to.

Sorry this chapter is REALLY short. That's why it's double upload!!