Teen Drinking Expository

Hi, this is a Teen Drinking expository i did for an english assignment, comment with you opinions! (:

Enjoy,

__________________________________________________________________________________

Alcohol is constantly a problem, with so many people going out to parties on weekends and getting so drunk, that they can’t remember what actually happened at the party.  I’m sure most teenagers have had a few mouthfuls of alcohol, most likely from their parents but the problems start when teenagers can then think that having excessive amounts of alcohol and abusing it is ok, when it isn’t. I think that if your parents allow you to drink a little bit, then it’s their responsibility, but it’s also their responsibility to ensure that you understand that it’s only OK with them, or in small amounts.

Most teenagers have their first drink by age 13 and about 60% of high school students drink alcohol on a daily basis. In comparison to other drugs; alcohol consumption is the most common type of substance abuse in teenagers. When teens start drinking excessively when they are young, it can lead to binge drinking later on in life which can result in many more medical problems.

Most teenagers either are not aware of the health risks or just don't care about how drinking might hurt them, both physically and mentally. So what are the risks? Once teenagers try alcohol they are more likely to start experimenting with illegal drugs, which introduces more risks and problems, they are more likely to drink and drive than any adults but also they are more likely to be sexually active and most likely not practice safe sex. Not to mention the problems for the future, including brain damage, memory loss and behavioural problems (aggression, criminal activity and running away from home).

The leading cause as to why teenagers begin drinking is peer pressure and wanting to seem ‘cool’ to their friends. Some also turn to alcohol as a way to cope, for stress-relief, anxiety, depression or serious life changes. Some common signs of drinking include skipping school, excessive sleeping or fatigue, avoiding family and friends, blackouts and memory loss.

Sometimes, though, it isn’t always the teenagers fault. Studies show that children of alcoholics are more likely to start drinking, than those whose parents don’t drink. Parents are quite often our role models, so if parents don’t want their kids to abuse alcohol then set the right example, and cut down or stop drinking in front of us altogether.