Take 30 - Change Your Ticket - Part 3

A/N: Comment as you read, please. It'd mean the world to me. 

Later when I was standing in a small room with only a table filled with refreshments, I was beginning to feel better about myself. I’d spent most of my time on my phone, trying to search the internet for any mention that something was off about Ludmilla.

It pleased me to no end that there weren’t any.

“Ms. Hanson?” a young woman asked.

I didn’t recognize her. “Yes?”

“My name is Lucy Callahan. I’m a journalist for High-Life Magazine.” She extended her hand to me. “Steven Sayven said I could go back here to get a quote about tonight to our magazine.”

I surveyed her carefully. It was no secret that the media business were filled with liars. Yet, somehow it felt like this woman wasn’t one of them. I couldn’t exactly explain it: I just trusted her words.

“Okay,” I said. “What do you want me to say then?”

The woman smiled. “The meaning behind us taking quotes is for you to choose your own words, and then we print them.”

“Of course,” I said. “I meant: what do you like me to say something about. Surely you must have some kind of overall topic.”

“I actually have a few questions,” she said. “You don’t have to answer them all, though. But it could be good to get us started.”

“Sure…” I smiled at her. “Shoot.”

“First, I’d like to know how it’s been like working with Harry Styles and Zayn Malik compared to other actors. Did you sense any difference?”

I swallowed hard. Maybe I should have thought this over better. I cleared my throat. “Honestly, I didn’t see much difference. It was clear early on that both Harry and Zayn has a strong sense of ambition, and they’re professionals.”

“I actually guessed that much,” Lucy said as she scribbled something on her notepad. “Well then. I’d like to know something: How do you deal with all the hate?”

The question took me by surprise. Somehow, I hadn’t been prepared for the possibility that someone may want to ask into this.

“I mostly ignore it.” I gave her a small smile.

The door opened and Steven came in. “Cami, have you—”

He stopped speaking as he noticed Lucy. Pointing at her, he looked at me. “What’s she doing in here?”

“She said you sent her in here.” I frowned. “You didn’t?”

“I would never.” He narrowed his eyes at her. “Get. Out.”

Surprised, I watched as she obliged. She nodded to me, raising her pad with a triumphant smile.  

Steven turned to me as soon as the door closed behind Lucy. “What did you tell her?”

“Not that much, really.” I shrugged. “She asked if Harry and Zayn were bad to work with: I said no. And she asked how I dealt with hate, to which I answered that I simply ignored it.” I looked down. “Is it bad?”

Steven ran a hand through his hair, tousling it with a tad of frustration. “It really depends on her. Lucy Callahan is notorious for making things up. Especially about celebrities who’s the current hot topic with a lot of positive publicity. She must have targeted you specifically.”

“What could she probably spin my answers into something bad?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know how she manages it, but there’s always some kind of truth in what she says. For instance, you saying that Harry and Zayn are good actors? She could spin that to say that all of the other people you worked with are incompetent.”