"You are too good to me," Katy laughed, lightly squeezing his arm. Richard's cheeks flushed and he looked to the ground. Ahead, Isabel stopped her whispers at the sight of Richard. 

"Lady Isabel," he bowed quickly while continuing to walk.

"Is it true, Richard? Are you returning Lady Fitzgerald to her family? I had so hoped she and I may become friends," Isabel taunted, walking next to him. Richard kept his pace and kept Katy close to him.

"You will still have your opportunity, Lady Isabel. We shall return, together." Isabel stopped in her tracks and Katy felt the glare.

"I have done nothing to her," Katy whispered. "I do not understand why she treats me so."

"Pride is the basis of all sins, is it not?"

"That is easy for you to say. You are brother to the King. You are a bigger man than I am. She is wearing on me." Anne of Warwick rushed to her sister's side. Katy could hear the hushed talk, but could not make out any words. "I feel for Anne though. It cannot be easy being the youngest in their family."

"They will come to love you, as I have. You are and continue to be easy to love." Richard eliminated the space between them, looking into Katy's eyes.

"You are going to get us into trouble," Katy whispered.

"I would face thousands of men alone, just to be with you. I am, and always will be your servant. You are worth any punishment." Richard's light eyes shone with passion and love. He leaned down slowly, looking at her lips. A familiar throat clear broke the silence and Katy smirked.

"I told you," she whispered, looking at Richard's lips. He smiled and turned to face Thomas. Katy's cheeks turned bright red in the presence of her brother.

"Sir Thomas," Richard tried to save himself. Thomas bowed and crossed his arms.

"You promised to protect her, your Grace."

"She left with me once, and I gave you my word. Nothing changes this time. If anything, I have more to protect," Richard pulled out parchment with Edward's seal on it.

"Thomas, you have nothing to fear. I am going home." Thomas could not help but smile at Katy's joy.

"You must give Mother and Father my best. And congratulate Ann on her wedding." Thomas kissed her forehead lightly and then turned his attention back to Richard, "And you, give my brother hell. As you have done to me on occasion." Richard chuckled and the two embraced. "He could use the challenge." Katy smiled at the blossoming relationship between the two men.

~

Thomas opened the carriage door and Richard helped her in. He stepped in after her and sat across from her.

"You are not riding?" Katy questioned as the horses began to pull. He chuckled and looked out the window.

"There is no use bringing Gawain and Morgan when they will return here. Plus, I thought it would be good to sit with you."

"You are lying!" Katy exclaimed, laughing. "You are not one to sit, even with me." Richard smirked and shook his head. "You wanted to be alone with me," Katy continued to laugh, piecing together Richard's motivation.

"Does that worry you?" He leaned into her, lowering his voice.

"No, my Lord Gloucester, for I know you to be a man of your word." She pushed his hard chest away from her. Richard chuckled lightly.

"You could indulge me. I rather like the pursuit."

"You have a royal decree in your possession that states you've obtained your prize."

"Summer is a way away. We both know that." Katy turned her attention out the window. The trees flash quickly by, without many leaves to hide the bundles of branches.

"Would he change his mind?" She questioned, lightly rubbing her dress between her fingers. The fabric glided smoothly over itself.

"No, not when we have the Queen supporting our union." Richard lightly took her hand, wrapping it in his large ones. He was always warm, even when the air was brisk. "Give me something to help pass the time." Katy paused and thought. Richard played with her fingers lightly. She looked into his eyes and smirked.

"Seduce me. Make me love you more than I already do. I want a man who I cannot be without, and one who cannot be without me." Richard kissed her hand and smiled.

"In my entirety, I will prove myself utterly loyal to you, and give you the life you deserve. I promise you that." Katy leaned over to Richard, putting her hand on his thigh to support her

"Then, your grace, I will indulge you," she whispered into his ear. Richard turned to face her.

"I should like to kiss you, Lady Kathryn." Richard guided her onto his lap. Katy pressed her forehead to his and smiled. She cupped his face and brought her lips to his, moving slowly and smiling through it. Richard pulled away and looked up at her. The carriage bounced and Katy yelped in shock.

"This is why I wanted to sit with you," he teased, kissing her again. "I also need to learn of your family," he interrupted.

"My father, Thomas, is extremely kind and rather boisterous. He holds himself high and fights for what he believes in. Joan, my mother, is much gentler, yet has a sharp tongue. They will adore you," Katy wrapped her arm around Richard's shoulder, using him to support her during the bumpy ride.

"Gerald, as compared to Thomas, is most like my father. Loud and loved," Katy giggled. "He is a man of man words and will always voice his opinions. He will be the next Earl of Kildare and is admired by many Irish lords. I mean no offense, but he will initially not take kindly to you."

"And what of your sister?"

"Ann is free from vices. She is fair, beautiful, and kind. Everything she does is effortless and always is perfect. She puts me to shame, truthfully."

"You must know I find that impossible," Richard took a deep breath. "You are exhilarating."

"You have not met her, yet. You met the wrong sister first," Katy protested.

"I do not need to. For I am fortunate to know you." Katy paused and scanned Richard's demeanor. His hand rested on her waist and he smiled slyly.

"You're indulging me now!"

"It is a sin to lie," he countered. Katy slid from Richard's lap and rested her head on his shoulder. He in turn, lightly placed his head on hers. "Goodnight, sweetheart," he whispered. Katy's eyes had become heavy and soon she was swallowed by darkness.

~

The bustling sound of the port awoke her. People spoke loudly and the call of sea birds filled the air. Katy's eyes fluttered open, and she was alone in the carriage. The sun was dropping into the sea and painted the sky with purple and pink. Katy opened the door, taking her first steps into the port. Ships lined the docks, creaking with the tides. Richard instructed the crew on where to place the differing trunks. Even with such a small task, he held a commanding presence. Katy wandered to the horses, lightly stroking their faces and necks. The cold air burned her lung and she took deep breaths. But her excitement over seeing her family warmed her. Katy's hair suddenly moved from her neck, and a cold chain rested on her skin. She looked down at the deep blue stone, now hanging from her neck.

"Richard, I cannot-"

"It is a gift for my future wife." He kissed her neck lightly, causing Katy to gasp. She turned her head towards him, looking into his eyes. "We are ready to depart." Katy walked slowly to the ship. It was small, but sturdy. The crew bowed to Katy as she stepped on. "They are requesting for you to stay in your chambers for the length of the journey, for your safety." Richard led Katy into a small room. It was dark with only one window and a small bed in the corner.

"How long do they expect?" Katy questioned, looking at her surroundings.

"No more than a day." She nodded and sat on the bed. "I will be back to check on you," Richard assured. He closed the door and Katy ran to the window, watching as they moved slowly from the docks. All she needed to do was entertain herself for a day, then she would be home.