Hunter then ran at him, turning the sword into a spear.
Dai was about to try and cut himself free, but he saw Hunter coming at him fast.
Hunter thrusted the spear at him, Dai ducking as it past overhead.
He then swung his sword and cut the spear in half, catching the bladed half in his freehand. Using both blades, he cut himself free of the vines.
Hunter annoyedly dissipated the spear, it wilting into nothingness in Dai's hand.
Hunter then formed the remains of the spear still in his hand into a new spear, and started swinging.
Dai moved to the side, dodging each swing.
Hunter then tried thrusting the spear again, this time Dai grabbing it mid-thrust.
He pulled it out of Hunter's hand and spun around, giving him a swift kick in the chest as he did.

Hunter fell to the ground on his back, and was about to get up, when he noticed an ice blade pointed between his eyes.
Dai stared down at him.
"You were saying," he said with a deadpan expression.

Sterling then blew his whistle.
"Well done, Mr. Fray, although I do suggest you follow directions next time," he said, "Skilled you may already be, but not everyone has experience. Continue on."
Dai dissipated the ice sword, snow flurries twirling in the air it once occupied. He was somewhat embarrassed at the slight reprimand. He extended a hand out to Hunter to help him up, only for the dark-haired boy to smack his hand away, and get up himself.

🌊

The class ended, and as it was the last class of the day, the Gifted headed around the education buildings to head to other parts of campus.
"Dude, that disarm was clean as hell," Kai commented.
"Thanks," Dai replied humbly, "I was just tired of his pathetic attacks."
"Yeah," Kai agreed, "I was paired with Judith, this fire Gifted girl, and she only threw fireballs. Nice girl, though."
"Oh?" Raina asked, "Nice enough to catch your attention?"
"Maybe," Kai smiled knowingly, "We'll see, though. By the way, Luke wants to meet with Aria and Lena at the theater."
"Sure," Dai smiled, having not seen Aria since the ferry.
"I guess," Raina said unenthusiastically.
"Let's go then!" Kai grinned, grabbing Dai's arm and beginning to run, forcing Raina to run to keep up.

They hurried past Jace, who was throwing the trash within a garbage can away in a dumpster beside the education buildings.
He watched them go, recognizing them from the ferry, and his expression was more solemn than ever.

"What are you doing here?" Hunter asked upon walking up.
"This is my punishment for doing what you told me to," Jace replied, annoyedly.
"Hey, you didn't have to fight her," Hunter huffed, offended at the statement, "Though, if you didn't, you would still not know what you're capable of, hm?"
Jace didn't reply immediately, placing the empty garbage can next to the dumpster.
"I can tell she hates me now," he sighed.

Hunter arched an eyebrow, then placed an arm around him and held him close.
"Listen," he said, "Mel and I were thinking of having a little bonfire party, a little further away from campus. If you wanna make it up to her, come. Bring Janice. I'll even make sure those Fray jerks come to, since you seem to like 'em."
Jace considered for a moment, "When?"
"This Friday," Hunter replied, "Mel and I will get the word out, so just bring Janice and you can say sorry to Lena then."
Jace managed a smile, feeling slightly better having the chance to make things right.

🌊

Meanwhile, Melany skipped her last class. She was in the third education building, carefully going down the hall.

She reached Danford's office, but stopped beside the door upon hearing voices inside.

"...don't even know why you insist upon this," Danford was saying, "I don't care the reasoning, I can't just shut down New Haven operations without substantial proof of this threat."
"Arielle, please, think of the children—" an unfamiliar voice replied.
"I am," Danford said, "I will look after them should their safety really be in jeopardy, but until there is more proof than just words, I will not shut down New Haven."

Footsteps then made their way towards the door, and Melany, panicking, stomped on the floor, a pink tulip growing up around her and swallowing her up before descending back into the floor. The flower emerged around the corner at the end of the hall, and its petals opened, Melany stepping out.

The flower wilted away completely as Danford and an unknown figure stepped outside.
"We'll finish this discussion later," she said.
Melany peeked around the corner, seeing Danford walk off, and spotted the unfamiliar figure.

The figure was a short boy with pale skin and black hair. He wore a red and black tunic outfit, and had a black conical hat.
His back was to Melany, so she couldn't see his face. He turned slightly to the right, scowling. His golden eyes seemed to glimmer in the sunlight.

To Melany's surprise, he engulfed himself in fire, and then disappeared.
After a moment, she stepped out from behind the corner, and hurried over to Danford's office. Upon discovering it was locked, she formed a small vine on her index finger, and wiggled it into the keyhole.

A few seconds of lock picking went past, and the click of the door unlocking could be heard. Melany dissipated the vine, and opened the door. She entered the office, and closed the door behind her.