Chapter 31: An Unbelievable Truth

I proceeded to my usual table on Thursday, tray stacked with chicken nuggets. 

    "Hey guys," I greeted them, taking my spot. 

    "Sup," Was more or less the response I received, with hardly a glimpse from the person of interest. 

    "You going to Snowflake?" Kelsey asked me.

    "Uh...," I stuttered, trying to make eye contact with him. "I was planning on it."

    "We're going hard on the cheese and renting a fucking limo," Kelsey explained. "Wanna chip in?"

    "Sure," I laughed. "I never pictured you to be the type who would go to a formal dance, let alone rent a limo for it, Kels."

    She shrugged.

    "I figured I'd do it for Vincey," She explained nonchalantly. "He's a bit of a hopeless romantic, this one."

    "Are you going with anyone?" I asked.

    She stared at me for an uncomfortably lengthy amount of time and cleared her throat before answering.  

    "The hopeless romantic I promised to rent the limo for, of course."

    I felt as if the world had stopped spinning. Everything seemed to slow down around me, and my pulse quickened. My eyes darted back and forth between them, and I couldn't bring myself to comprehend what she'd just said.

    "Well of course you'll be going with him but not WITH him," I emphasized, realizing just how pathetic and stupid I sounded. 

    "Well, no, I will be WITH him," She said, sounding uncomfortable. "He asked me yesterday after school."

    "Oh," I responded before going silent. 

    I made an excuse to rush out of lunch for the second day in a row.