He didn't speak immediately, but when he did, his answer satisfied me immensely.

"I will do it..."

~~~

Night had quickly fallen and I grew exhausted at the necessary precautions to cover my handiwork in the general's turf.

That hindrance is finally gone. It was a good thing I eliminated his underlings first or it would not have been as easy.

Dragging Sebastian in my plan was certainly a good decision. I stared at my laptop screen, watching the news hover over my head, the words getting lost in my muddled brain.

General Collin's crimes were a huge shock to military authorities. No one seemed to believe it at first but the suspicion was quickly lifted after it was confirmed in a footage that he had initiated a shootout between the arresting officers and himself. A short clip of this scene from the late general's residence will be showed shortly after-

There was a sudden knock and the door to the study opened, revealing an anxious Kassis. "Boss... Lilac called-"

"Didn't I tell you I don't want to be disturbed tonight?" I cut him off with a warning glare.

"Boss... It concerns Rui Hu-"

I frowned. "She's not an exemption."

"But boss-"

"I. will. not. repeat. my. words."

"...I understand."  Though Kassis looked apprehensive, he agreed and walked out of the study reluctantly.

I rubbed my temples with one hand as I glanced at my phone that died a long time ago. It's fine... Lilac is guarding her. And I don't have the luxury to be worrying about other people right now.

So why am I?

In the end, I couldn't help but admit I'm slightly bothered. Even after all that happened, why is it that I still have time to think about her?

If all she said is true, then all the things I did- They weren't for her. Naturally, I shouldn't feel any connection now.

That should have been the way it is. It was simple.

And yet why did I react that way?

I took the cup of water on my desk and quickly downed it, the memories of the events this morning, popped out like bullets from a gun. When I arrived at her apartment earlier in the day, I was sure my resolve wouldn't be shaken by her, but as soon as I opened that door and saw her bare back exposed to me, my defenses came crashing down.

Despite that, I managed to collect myself but that had quickly failed once more when she spoke and stirred emotions she should not have been able to wake. Anger rose in my chest, travelling all the way to my head at the mere hint of an amorous relationship between her and a stranger--- a misunderstanding that was resolved after meeting Shirly, by chance.

I didn't know then so I was egged on by her abruptness to make me leave. She couldn't even look me in the eye, so much that she signed the papers quickly after reading the conditions only once.

Later on, I didn't expect I'd lose my composure and did that to her... I know I'm vile but never did I force myself to an unwilling woman. At least until now. I couldn't control myself and it didn't help that she felt so irresistible in that alluring dress. Like a bee to a flower, I was drawn in by her nectar.

I puffed out a withering huff. It all sounds like idle excuses even to my ears. And even if it were true, I should never have done such a thing. I've totally lost my cool... The way she writhed under me with her flushed skin... The way her cunt gripped my finger... Her scent... Everything was all too intoxicating.

Hell. I would not have been able to stop if she didn't bite me.

Conversely, I would not have complained if she lashed out at me in anger after succeeding in pushing me away, but she didn't. Instead, she cried while struggling to move and fix the mess I made out of her, all the while trying to hold back her tears. Seeing her that way made me feel so dirty... I felt like I'd just committed the most heinous crime, which was funny because I've done even worse things yet I never felt any guilt nor remorse.

I was so vexed with my feelings that I intentionally spoke harshly to make her furious. I wanted her to slap me. Scream at me. Hurt me. Do just about anything to get back at me and make it even, but that had backfired when she meekly asked if I was happy.

Her question left me speechless... Would I have let go of her if I knew of her identity the first day she stepped foot in that apartment? 

...No.

I would have found a way to dispatch her secretly

I am not my father... I told that so many times in the past, but now..?

I am not so sure, anymore. My reflection gazed back at me from the laptop screen, making me grit my teeth as it morphed into a shape I know too well.

'Long time no see... son.' It's mouth twisted in an impossible smile that stretched all the way to the ears.

I grabbed the handgun beside me with a death grip as I aimed at it without replying.

'Aww... Even if you shoot me, you'll never be able to get rid of me.' It cackled in the quiet comfort of the study, the sound reverberating in the corners of the walls. 'I will always be inside you. In the blood that runs through your veins... In those filthy hands-'

Gun shots roared, drowning the words away from it's mouth.

"You and I... We're not the same..."

Even so, I'm not as convinced as I thought I should be.

***