Seeing Beyond Life [chapter 3]

Chapter 3

Charlotte 

Xavier Micheal Lloyd is so cool. He blows me away every time I see him. He is tall, lean, ultra muscularly, really tanned and ultra popular. So, extremely hot! He is a fantastic surfer, which is why he and Liam are such good friends. His eyes are the colour of the ocean, a deep blue and when I stare into them, I feel as though I’m looking straight at the sea, and his hair is a beautiful sandy blonde colour, probably from all the time he spends out in the sun. Seeing him run across the sand, board tucked underneath his arm makes my heart skip a beat.

He is so funny but also compassionate and he always talks about how when he’s out at sea, it’s like being in another world, and all you can hear is the sound of the waves and your own breathing.

I get the same feeling, but on ice. Sometimes, when I’m skating I close my eyes, feeling the whoosh of cold air as I glide across an icy surface. It’s like I’m the only one that exists.

Xavier and I always chat about these sorts of things, about how we really connect to our sports.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I was awoken from my sleep by my phone buzzing in my ear. I slid open the key pad and answered with a sleepy ‘Hello?’

“Morning sunshine!” The voice echoed through my head.

“Urggh! Xavier, do you know what the time is?” I choked back, switching my phone to loudspeaker.

“Why yes I do. I believe it is 5:45. Are you tired?” Xavier replied, laughing lightly.

“Well yes. I had training last night and that is tiring in itself.” I replied defensively, making Xavier giggle softly.

“Well... right now the surf is great. I am inviting you to come along, and I’ll give you some surfing lessons! What do you think?” Xavier asked me.

“Of course! That sounds so awesome!! Now that’s a reason to be woken up.” I laughed, smiling happily. Well, as happily as you can for 5:45 in the morning.

“Ok. Well meet me at my house in half an hour. See you soon!” Xavier replied.

“Yeah! Ok. See you soon Xav. Bye!” I replied cheerily, hanging up.

I quickly shot out of bed, rubbing my sleepy eyes and getting my new black and blue sea folly bathers out of my bottom drawer.

I knew mum would never let me go surfing, especially so close to my competition but I really wanted to spend time with Xavier. I slid on a white, loose dress. Grabbed my flip-flops, towel and handbag I tiptoed downstairs, careful not to wake mum or dad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked into Xavier’s front yard, quietly closing the gate behind me. Xavier was sitting on the front porch, smiling happily at me as I walked closer.

“How are you on this wonderful morning, Miss. Bailey?” Xavier pulled his dazzling, toothy grin which I loved. It was one of those smiles that if you saw you immediately smiled back, it was contagious and definitely one that lights up a room.

“Oh just splendid, Sir Lloyd. “ I replied, smiling along.

“Oooh... Sir Lloyd, now I could certainly get used to that!” He replied, his lopsided grin filling up his face.

He stood up, walking towards me and resting on one knee, grabbing my hand and kissing it lightly, as they do on the movies.

I played along, fanning myself with my hand and gushing ‘Oh my, what a gentlemen!’ Little does he know, I think I actually needed a fan! I was hoping that this wasn’t one of those times where my face gives me away by going as red as a beetroot!