Chapter 21; Secrets.

Start from the beginning

Mom and dad appreciated him and went ahead to find Kenna who would lead them to Emily.

Currently it was just Ethan and I in his car seated in a deafening silence.

"I'm sorry, I guess I'm just stressed out about Emily's transplant..." he trailed off.

"You're lying." I stated.

"A relationship should be based on honesty Ethan, if you can't tell me what's on your mind and choose to rather lie about it, then fine. But I won't sit and act like it doesn't hurt me."

I opened the door, collected my purse and slammed it close before making my way to the hospital.

***
"For Christ's sake Kendra, it's been four days already," she rounded the kitchen island and raised four fingers in front of my face. "Four! Give the man a break. You don't expect him to tell you every single thing running through his mind. Your father never did tell me everything, yet we survived, didn't we?"

I was wise enough to know that question didn't require an answer.

"I may not understand the situation entirely, but I know you shouldn't keep doing what you're doing to both him and yourself. That man," she pointed in the direction of the front door before continuing, "standing on that front porch, he's a good man. He's been doing the same thing for the past four days and managed to juggle in his job at the same time spending time with Emily."

She's right. You better listen! My subconscious said.

"You're my daughter, I can see he makes you happy and I see you're very much in love with him. Don't let something as tiny as this destroy what you have. Now, I am going to open that door and let that young man in so you both can talk while I go see my granddaughter. Am I understood?" She raised a brow.

I simply nodded and finished up my tea while she kept her word.

"Thank you Emilia." I heard his tired voice whisper.

You might have figured by now that, Belinda had gotten Emily's name from my mom's.

I again heard the front door close which meant we were the only people at home now.

I got down from my stool and straightened the huge tshirt I had on.

It was Ethan's shirt. One of the clothes he left here since he begun sleeping over.

It wasn't indecent, it reached past mid thigh and was very comfortable to be in. Plus, it smelled like him.

After several minutes of mentally preparing myself to speak to him, I turned and began walking towards the living room, but not before running into a brick wall A.K.A Ethan.

Since, I took so long to come to him, he came to me.

He looked impeccable though tired and he was still taller than me.

His touch felt so wonderful after missing him so much for the past four days.

"I'm sorry." He simply said.

Me being me, I started crying,  but not the full on sobbing type of cries, just tears.

"I didn't mean to make you cry, neither did I want to be away from you or hurt you. These past four days have only been bearable because I got to at least see Emily every day." He used his thumb to wipe away a tear.

"I'm sorry, I overreacted..." I said amidst my tears. "You don't have to tell me everything, just please don't lie. I can't handle it." I used the back of my hands to wipe my tears and blew my nose into a nearby napkin I took from the island.

Before I could properly process my thoughts I was engulfed into a very tight hug.

"I love you so much, God knows I do." He whispered.

"I love you..." I broke off the hug to kiss him.

God! I'd missed his lips so very much.  He had both hands on my waist while I stood on my tippy toes.

"I have to tell you something," I told him, he nodded and led us to the sitting room.

We both sat on the couch and I tucked my legs beneath me.

"I haven't been entirely honest with you, and I want to start again but with no secrets this time. I want everything out in the open. Nothing to hide." I begun.

He gestured for me to go ahead with a nod.

I cleared my throat.

"Emily isn't my biological daughter. She's Belinda's..." I then went ahead to explain everything, from how Belinda entered my life till when she left Emily for me.

Throughout, he listened very attentively and encouraged me to go on when I felt like crying sometimes.

"I'm glad Emily is with us now, we will love her just the way Belinda would have wanted."He coerced.

I prepared myself for the greater truth I had to reveal.

"Ethan..." I whispered.

"Love, you can tell me anything. I promise, nothing, absolutely nothing, can make me love you less."

I smiled, tears long gone now.

"I was adopted." I rushed out and he laughed.

"Love, I may not be the brightest, but I think even I couldn't see the exact semblance. Your parents are both blonde you know..." he chuckled.

I joined him too. I felt light. I wasn't hiding anything and hopefully he wasn't either.

"So, do you have anything to get off your chest?" I asked while resting my head on his chest.

He stilled for some time before eventually answering my question.

"No, work has just been stressful. I am an open book, for you only."

"No secrets ok?" I insisted.

"Hmhm.."

"I love you."

"I love you. I really do..." he whispered and if I wasn't already half asleep, I could swear he was crying and apologising at the same time.

Let's get those votes up guys...

And  for those of you looking for a good read, you should read 'best of both worlds' by Zeemzie. It's truly a beautiful book. Let's support her.

Love Joy.