forty one

i sat with sam on the steps eating lunch.

"are you taking anyone to prom?" i asked, breaking part of my cookie in half and handing it to him.

he shook his head no,"not so far. i'm not even sure i could afford it. and my siblings need to be taken care of...i just don't think i can."

i frowned. he had recently told me about his financial situation, so quinn and i had been over helping.

"i get it. but we'd all really love to see you there." i half smiled placing an arm on his shoulder.

"yeah, we'll just have to see. but hey, for nationals, do you wanna do a song together for nationals?" he suggested.

i smiled, getting excited by the idea,"obviously i do. ever since we sang i heard your voice in a dream, i'm convinced we're like musical soulmates or something."

he laughed,"our voices go together, huh?"

"i think so." i nodded.

"well alright then, after prom?"

"after prom." i confirmed the plans. he held out his pinky, really solidifying our commitment. i linked my pinky with his and he grinned.

i remembered something i meant to talk to him about something,"oh! yeah, also can i just say, kurt coming back immediately after he lost regionals? is that suspicious to anyone else?"

sam knit his brows together,"huh. yeah, that is weird."

"i mean, i know kurt wouldn't do that...the timeline is just a little convenient if you ask me."

i stood with sam at his locker,"so you can come over tonight, right?"

i nodded,"course i can. it'll give us a nice opportunity for me to run a song by you."

sam grinned,"really? i'm excited. how'd you write it so fast?"

"i've had it for awhile," i admitted, watching as rachel walked in our direction,"i wrote it for regionals, but didn't show it cause we did a five person thing."

"oh, awesome. yeah, we can look at it tonight."

i nodded and smiled,"i'll bring over my keyboard."

rachel arrived and leaned against the lockers to watch the interaction.

"hey." she smiled.

"why are you talking to me?" sam questioned, shutting his locker.

i'll admit, even i was a little confused.

"can't i say hello?"

"i guess. i just- santana told me never to speak alone with you, because you would try to steal all my gold."

i furrowed my eyebrows wondering what that even meant.

rachel looked a little offended, but brushed past it,"um, okay. anyways, i got you this," she held a three pack of chapstick,"i know everyone's always making fun of your lips, but i think they're cute and worth weather-proofing."

"thanks..." sam trailed off taking the chapstick in his hands.

"so considering we're both single, and i think your lips are cute...i was wondering if you would go to prom with me."