one

i stood with finn and the rest of the football team as they prepared to throw kurt in the dumpster.

it's true, it wasn't exactly what i wanted to happen to the kid, but i'm no hero.

"making new friends kurt?" mr. schuester asked as he walked up to us.

kurt looked up hesitantly at the resident spanish teacher without saying a word.

finally puck spoke for him,"he sure is mr. schue."

"hey? finn you still owe me that report on que hace el verano pasado." will said as he walked by.

"what?" finn asked, clearly confused.

"what you did last summer." mr. schue answered.

"actually, if it's what you did last summer it would be que hiciste el verano pasado. hiciste is past tense." i corrected him.

"right. thank you, stevie." mr. schue nodded.

"no problem." i said and turned back to the guys.

"well, i'm off. have fun with this. i'll see you guys later." i smiled and stalked off on my way to first period.

"hey, stevie." my friend, artie, said as i came and sat with him in sociology.

"what's up, artie? anything new in the land of the...losers?" i smirked.

he rolled his eyes and elbowed me.

"ha ha. we get it you're popular. and yes there actually is something new, but now i'm not gonna tell you." he turned his head up and moved his wheelchair to face away from me.

"oh come on, i'm sorry." i sighed.

"fine," he turned back to face me,"tina and i, you know tina, are auditioning for the glee club."

i burst out laughing causing a few heads to turn. considering this days lesson was on forced marriages.

"the glee club? the one mr. ryerson runs? that flamboyant bald old man, who tried to seduce andy white?" i asked in disbelief.

"no, no, mr. schuester, that spanish teacher, took it over. i think it could really be something."

"well...if that's what you think. i wish you two luck. do you know who else is hopping aboard the social suicide train?"

"uh, mercedes jones-"

"oh, she's cool."

"and rachel berry."

"ugh."

"what's that mean?" artie chuckled.

"she's so annoying, man." i shook my head.

"facts. but she can sing."

"i know. she's really talented, which only makes me hate her more. she's a soprano so she thinks she's better than me."

"what are you?"

"a mezzo."

"nice. well yeah, she's good."

"yeah." i sighed.

finn, puck, and i sat in my living room playing a random episode of that 70's show.

"steven you'll never believe this. today, mr. schue came into the locker room and started talking about all this fruity glee crap. and so i told him i can sing, right? so i come up to the front, get all prepared and...wham! i let one rip." puck recounted laughing his head off.

"you're such a pig, puck." i shook my head.

"oh, come on. you love me." he nudged me with his elbow.

puck and i has taken the couch while finn sat on a chair nearby.

"that's not the word i was thinking of." finn laughed.

"shut up, finn." puck scoffed.

we had all been friends forever. we grew up together, because our moms are friends. they all bonded over the fact that none of them had our dads anymore. both mine and finn's dad died when we were young. finn never really knew his father, he died not long after finn was born. my father died when i was four. and pucks father had bolted awhile back.

all three of our moms went to some weird ex spousal support thing and met each other. ever since then, we've all been best friends. we go all the way back to four years old.

we're all strictly platonic friends. i mean, finn and i have never really done anything unless you count a spin the bottle kiss. the same applies to puck, me and him have just never seen each other like that.

to add to the strictly friendly part of our relationship, finn and quinn had been dating for a couple months now. he was off limits, you couldn't catch me trying with another girls guy. it just wasn't my style. i mean, before they started dating i did think maybe something would happen between us. we're just so close, i thought maybe...well, it doesn't matter what i thought.

and sure, maybe i still do want something to happen between us. but it doesn't matter. i'm not hopelessly in love, i'm not pining, it is what it is. if one day he finds himself not with quinn, i'll give it a second thought.

"stevie?" finn asked.

"hm? yeah?" i turned to him.

"you looked like you were zoning. you alright?" he asked.

"fine. just tired. i stayed up all night watching all american."

"oh that shows cool." finn nodded and returned his attention back to the tv.